You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

What is this plug?

Any idea what the 50 amp female receptacle goes to or comes from in the electrical cable box?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Looks like the standard buddy plug. Allows another RV to use your shore power or generator power. Power comes out of the electrical transfer box.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(09-02-2023, 10:20 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  Any idea what the 50 amp female receptacle goes to or comes from in the electrical cable box?

I saw that on mine too, assumed it was a buddy plug.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

Thank you! I had thought perhaps that's what it was but wanted to make sure as I am running the shore power to the new inverter and from the inverter back to the main panel.

Gravette, Arkansas

Without testing to be absolutely certain, I'm gonna say buddy plug too. Same location as mine also.
Your new solar system is might impressive!

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is

Jack,
On our coach the power in to the circuit breaker box comes in where a 50AMP DPDT CB 2 & 4 giving power to both legs in the coach. The buddy plug power comes out the top of the circuit breaker box (where in our houses the incoming power is).

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

Hank bingo that helps me.

Gravette, Arkansas

To clarify Hank’s post,  the circuit breaker panel is a “main lug only” configuration.  The incoming, from the xfer switch, is fed into a two pole 50A CB (MAIN) making the vertical buss bars energized.  The buddy plug is connected to the “Main lugs” and is protected by the two pole 50A CB as are all the other breakers.

An electrician’s jargon!

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Morning Gordon! Not having a schematic of the coach is like reverse engineering a UFO, glad to have this forum for help sure saves time and mistakes.

Gravette, Arkansas

(09-03-2023, 04:33 AM)bestgenman Wrote:  To clarify Hank’s post,  the circuit breaker panel is a “main lug only” configuration.  The incoming, from the xfer switch, is fed into a two pole 50A CB (MAIN) making the vertical buss bars energized.  The buddy plug is connected to the “Main lugs” and is protected by the two pole 50A CB as are all the other breakers.

An electrician’s jargon!

Excellent to know. I am sure I would be confused if I was looking inside the panel and saw that it was a MLO load center and there were wires on it plus it had a main breaker back-feeding the panel. 
Not sure how I feel about this though, I think I would rather it have its own breaker to be able to isolate the buddy plug if need be. 
I ended up adding a buddy plug to my Wanderlodge. I ended up using tandem breakers to free up some space in the panel for the buddy plug breaker. I did this with the convenience outlet circuits that I knew that there would not be much load on them.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)