You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Looking for a tow bar

I was reluctant to go with BlueOx but had no choice for my Jeep since I have the steel bumpers and winch. I do have the Roadmaster tow bar with BlueOx pin adapters. Love my airforce braking system. I wouldn't change that part of things. As Steve mentioned there have been a few BO baseplate failures which resulted in runaway vehicles. The main issue is keeping the tow bar and baseplate within 3" of deviance. Any more than that and it introduces forces against the baseplate which lead to its failure. That can be said about any base plate tow bar combo. I wanted to remove my Roadmaster baseplate from the hybrid Sahara I traded in but the RV shop would not remove and reinstall on my new V6 Rubicon since the hardware on RM's are proprietary and are one time use to the chassis. This is what I was told. As I dug further, the hardware could be obtained but the RV shop would no longer take liability or install it for me. So, in the grand scheme of things, I would just buy new and have a reputable shop install it. I don't want to deal with insurance asking me who done the install when my Jeep lets go and hits the bridge support. Incidentally, the baseplates I have seen fail take the safety cables with them since the cables are attached to the factory mounting points that break away with the section of baseplate that lets go. You could pull the safety cables around another area of the towed vehicles chassis if they are long enough I guess. Again, I play with their rules so they [insurance] doesn't put the fault on me.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Messages In This Thread
Looking for a tow bar - by pinkston_chris - 09-08-2023, 05:47 PM
RE: Looking for a tow bar - by Trainer - 09-09-2023, 05:50 AM
RE: Looking for a tow bar - by CaptainGizmo - 09-09-2023, 10:34 AM
RE: Looking for a tow bar - by BusNit - 09-09-2023, 02:47 PM
RE: Looking for a tow bar - by DK on the road - 09-10-2023, 08:30 PM
RE: Looking for a tow bar - by CaptainGizmo - 09-10-2023, 10:04 PM
RE: Looking for a tow bar - by Richard - 09-11-2023, 05:43 AM
RE: Looking for a tow bar - by hypoxia - 09-11-2023, 05:55 AM
RE: Looking for a tow bar - by folivier - 09-11-2023, 06:48 AM