You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New user introduction…

If you are considering a Newell, I highly suggest you read the entire section on What to consider in a used Newell. Tons of info in there with many of your questions answered in agonizing detail .

I will take a shot at quick answers to your concerns. These replies are MY opinion, and MY opinion only. I am not known for sugar coating issues, so take my comments with a boulder of salt.

Reliability. They are reliable. We just got back from Alaska, almost 10k miles and the only coach issue that sidelined us was a wonky throttle position sensor. That being said, the owner must stay on top of issues, understand how the coach functions, and be able to do basic repairs. After all, it will be a 20 yr motorhome. You would not expect a 20 yr house to be without issues. At 20 yrs, you are going to look hard at air bags, radiator, hoses, and seals. I think there is a widespread misconception that high end platforms such as Prevost and Newell are less trouble as they age. I think the opposite is true. With the fancier and redundant systems there is more to keep maintained. They are not Honda Accords. They require TLC.

Reliable service outside of Miami OK. That will be hit or miss. Mostly miss. Most RV techs have never seen a Newell, much less worked on one. You will have more luck at truck shops for suspension issues and engine concerns. Household AC techs for AC concerns. This forum will be your best resource for keeping a 20 yr Newell in excellent condition.

Parts availability. The front and back end caps, and slide seals are unique to Newell. Everything else is sourced from a truck supply, home improvement store, McMaster Catalog, or a link that an owner has posted here. There is very little that one of the gurus hasn’t found OR found a substitute.

Prepared for major issues? Engine and trans failures are extremely rare, but it’s a machine, anything can happen.

Annual budget, others will chime in with different numbers. I think 20k the first yr which will include tires and batteries, and 10k in subsequent yrs. Maybe more if Newell is your primary shop.

You might help us understand your situation by describing a handful of issues that YOU have fixed on your Tiffin, and a few issues other than the AC that you have had a shop address.

And a general Richard observation. The happiest Newell owners I know are ones who take responsibility for working on their own coach and view it as a hobby, the most unhappy ones are the ones who require a shop, even Newell, to fix every issue. That’s my opinion. I pegged the extremes of the spectrum. We all fall somewhere between the extremes.

You might also want to look at Foretravels and Country Coaches of the early 2000’s. Close to Newell and Prevost in what they deliver, but with less complexity in most cases.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Messages In This Thread
New user introduction… - by hedgecomb - 09-09-2023, 02:25 PM
RE: New user introduction… - by Fulltiming - 09-09-2023, 03:35 PM
RE: New user introduction… - by Jack Houpe - 09-09-2023, 03:50 PM
RE: New user introduction… - by Richard - 09-09-2023, 03:52 PM
RE: New user introduction… - by Jonestead - 09-10-2023, 08:03 AM
RE: New user introduction… - by BusNit - 09-10-2023, 08:44 AM
RE: New user introduction… - by DK on the road - 09-11-2023, 09:13 AM