You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Wheel studs

I removed the tag axle tire while working on the solar project and today reinstalling the tire and wheel. things where going good and i was torqueing them to 475 foot pounds as it says on the nut 450-500 foot pounds, but 2 of them almost got to torque but got loose all of a sudden, then I crawled behind and found this. Either my torque wrench is off or they became damaged at some other time. ???

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Jack,
Great catch!! Wow, that had to have been from some other time. During my career, I have had my personal torque wrenches calibrated by a certified lab once a year. Never had an issue....with my "personal tools". On the other hand, the tool crib (translated abused) torque wrenches. We would have at least one scraped each year for one reason or another. I doubt your torque wrench has been abused. I can't even imagine what kind of torque it took to break the head off like that. I'll be checking mine!

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Steve I have a friend here in town that bought a brand new 600 lb torque wrench, I will get his and torque to 450 then check it against mine. The issue now is to buy new studs and swap them out, thank God its the tag axle and not the drive axle.

Gravette, Arkansas

A tire shop broke a stud on mine last year swapping the fronts to the tag. I had three replaced locally. Forgot where Leo told me to order them from. I think I paid $115 for 10 of them

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Good info thank you Simon, I had no idea what they would cost or what size they are but tonight I found that they're easily pushed out into the back but it looks like I'll have to take the wheel off and do some disassembly in order to get them out of the tag axle. 

My buddy's coming over tomorrow with his brand new $800 torque wrench and we're going to compare mine with his, if they're compatible I'm a little worried about what caused this to happen. I have all the other studs tourqed to 475 foot pounds and three of them pull through.

Gravette, Arkansas

I think some previous tire shop got over zealous with a 1" pneumatic air wrench and went to town on them. Last year I had a coach net tire repair guy fix my front flat. Cringed while he stood on the air gun cranking each bolt down to oblivion. I was so pissed. The next morning we went to a tire shop to get new fronts installed and properly torqued.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I was pulling wheels today and had to break out my torque multiplier to get some of them loose. I am eventually going to get the 1" milwaukee impact, but for the most part when the wheels are properly torqued, the 3/4" milwaukee does fine. 

I have been slowly upgrading all my torque wrenches to Precision Instruments, I am fairly certain they rebrand these as Snap-on, they look identical except mine are blue and the Snap on is red. 

I purchased mine on Amazon several years back for just under $400, now they are just under $500, but look at the price of a Snap-on one, bet its near $1000!

https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Torque-Wren...181&sr=8-5

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

Jack, take a really good look at the tag bearings when you remove the hub. They take a beating. If they aren’t perfect thene replace bearings and races. There is a post with timken part numbers. Do both sides.

A lift table really helps handle the weight.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I will do this and thanks for telling me. I wish I had a lift table. I found the PDF file you posted on Euclid wheel studs and sizes.

Simon I am thinking the same thing, now for the million dollar question do you replace all of them or just the ones that pulled through? And I will have to do the other side also!

Jeff my garage has always been set up for cars, and my tools are special but tiny comparted to the tools required for the coach. I have a 1/2 torque wrench that I set at the highest setting 160ft lbs and torqued a wheel nut the set the 1" 600ft lb torque wrench and it clicked at exactly 160ft lbs. Today my buddy is going to bring over his new 600lb torque wrench and I am going to do the same test at 450ft lbs.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Gravette, Arkansas

While you have the hub off, replace them all. The effort is in removing the hub and reinstalling. The cost of 8 more studs will long be forgotten, but worrying about the tag vibrating loose will haunt you.

I know it is done, but I am against banging out the stud with the hub installed. Too much potential for brinneling the bearing in my view.

When I changed my front studs. Banging out with a 10 lb sledge was pretty easy. When I reinstalled, I put the hub out in the sun for a couple of hours, and the studs in the freezer, they popped in easy enough.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )