You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Survey of states Freeways/highway

I am based on the West Coast, so all of my travels have a beginning and end out here and limited passing thru our other beautiful states.

I have an opportunity to speak to some politicians, Union leaders and heavy civil contractors on 9/22. All of which will listen, and none will do anything about the quality of the CA state Highways.

My question/survey has 2 parts.

1) What are you least 3 favorite states to drive though. I rate this on the bumps, offsets, potholes and ruts left from winter truck chains traffic.  I'm not concerned with the amount of traffic or congestion or short off ramps etc. 

2) What are you favorite or best states to travel through? Smoothness, (I could fall asleep driving through here)

I'll start

I'm disliking.
CA, OK and LA

I like
NV, ID, TX.

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

I love everything...I go through PTSD therapy after each stop. LOL
I wanna be funny, so can I split California into 3 states? LOL

Ok, Ok...fine.

I hate (sorry, don't like dislike...haha):
CA...southern though. Once we get north of LA and San Berdo counties...life is smooth.
AZ...please we can't let I-40 slip through
NM...ditto for the same as AZ

Honorable Mentions of Hatred:
TX...full of construction and crazier, ruder, faster drivers than SoCal (keep in mind, I still had CA plates though)
IL...been a few years, but those bridge transitions knocked the radio right outta the dash of our new Dutch Star!

I "like" (loosely):
NV...I'll go with you on that one.
MT
ID

This is a tough one...cuz I think I hate more than I Like. LOL

Calling therapist now. Group session anyone?

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

I think all states are in competition striving to have the worst roads. Every state I drive through has the Good, the Bad and the Ugly if you thoroughly cover the state. I just put 8000 miles on the camper and 3000 on the toad in the last few months and need to visit the dentist to get the fillings put back in.

On a side note last year I went under a bridge marked 13'9", the CB antenna and the in motion satellite antenna hit it. This year I went under one marked 13'0" with no contact.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

Dislike: I-95 NB south of I-26 (edited: in Georgia this sucks). The right lane is just horrible. I-4 through Orlando in any direction. It doesn't have enough free lanes instead of the pay lanes they just added.
Don't dislike: I-95 through Georgia and South Carolina (except where noted above) in either direction.

I haven't driven away from the east coast in recent years so I can't speak to those roads.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

This is my thoughts from doing 60k miles in our Class B in 5 years.

I dislike almost all of I-40
Parts of NM
Parts of AZ
Most of CA
Parts of AR
Southern part of MI
Norther part of ME

I like
NV darn nice roads and not many people on them
TX except major cities
UT is good
FL has nice road except construction
GA
MS
MO for the most part

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Thank you all for responding. I look for more input from all corners of the US. The more generic by state is the most helpful.

With this unofficial survey, my group will be doing a historical study over the last 10 years for each state on;

1) How many $'s are spent per lane mile for new lanes vs population.
2) How many $'s are spent on Maintenace per lane mile vs population.
3) How many $ are collected by each state for the purpose of Maintenace or new construction per state, IE, Federal $'s, state taxes, fuel taxes, special bonds etc.

So, each state will get a ranking after the study is done, and the results shared with lobbyist, union leaders, and politicians. This study will be done by a university yet to be named. We sponsored this study in the mid 90's and most states keep a lot of this information hard to find. College kids dig and find comparable numbers.

What we found before, in the last study, was dollars were diverted from Highways and infrastructure to "Emergency projects" which generally turned out to be pet projects. Bringing this study to light, allow some progress in the right direction.

Thanks for playing along lol

Dave, Karen, w/Buddy and Moose. 
06' Newell #784
towing a 05' Featherlight enclosed trailer for toys and tools, 
or a 21' F350 Big Grin w KTM 300, and MTB in the back
35' Packard 4 dr convertible
59' Nash Metropolitan
+ 4 more cars and 8 motorcycles

Carpe Diem. Have Fun
Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

(09-12-2023, 06:26 PM)DK on the road Wrote:  What we found before, in the last study, was dollars were diverted from Highways and infrastructure to "Emergency projects" which generally turned out to be pet projects. 
Duh.  2000 Mules.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling