You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New User and hopefully new owner

Hello, I'm looking at a 1976 Newell in need of some remodeling, it's got a Detroit turbo, so I'm not concerned about that. It would be my first RV, but I am heavily mechanically inclined. 

I would love to get some type of schematics or chassis manual for it. If anyone has any leads on how to find such info, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Good morning and welcome, this is a good section to read before pulling the trigger on a Newell. A 1976 Newell is a classic and the vin might provide some information here on the search function, please post pictures when you get some. 

https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=80

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Every Newell is designed and built to customer specs. No two Newells are alike, making it impossible to get drawings. schematics for the 50 year old coach you are interested in.  When it was delivered to the original customer, it came with extensive build documentation  The engine alone weighs between 2500 and 3500 pounds. We just had our 40 year old radiator rebuilt. The cost ? More than 3000 dollars, and that was with me removing the radiator and taking it to the industrial radiator shop . Not saying these things to deter you, just commenting on  how expensive these thing are to maintain and repair. Many members of this forum have worked on older Newells and even repowered them with modern engines. They are a great source of help.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

(05-06-2024, 03:42 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  Good morning and welcome, this is a good section to read before pulling the trigger on a Newell. A 1976 Newell is a classic and the vin might provide some information here on the search function, please post pictures when you get some. 

https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=80

I will check that out, thanks.

(05-06-2024, 09:20 AM)Guy Wrote:  Every Newell is designed and built to customer specs. No two Newells are alike, making it impossible to get drawings. schematics for the 50 year old coach you are interested in.  When it was delivered to the original customer, it came with extensive build documentation  The engine alone weighs between 2500 and 3500 pounds. We just had our 40 year old radiator rebuilt. The cost ? More than 3000 dollars, and that was with me removing the radiator and taking it to the industrial radiator shop . Not saying these things to deter you, just commenting on  how expensive these thing are to maintain and repair. Many members of this forum have worked on older Newells and even repowered them with modern engines. They are a great source of help.

Gotcha. Well, I'll have to ask about any documentation that may still be with it. As for the radiator, it is something the owner says was redone recently. And I've been doing my homework on the 2-strokes. This one has maintenance up to date, according to owner. My plan is to keep it running right, and if/when it fails in an expensive way, then I'll repower to something more modern.