You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

120V compressor not kicking on

Heading out for a trip in the morning and the one thing I didn’t check over the weekend to see if I was ready to go is the 120v compressor as I have the coach on ship air when stored and compressor is new and had been working fine.

The picture below is of the relay box for lack of a better term where power enters that bay.  When power is turned on to that box what I will call the right side has power all the time, regardless of if I have the 120v compressor turned on or not.  The left side never has power.  There is also a wire from the well pump switch that feeds into this box as well.

Taking my trip either way, I just may not have front slide seals aired up part of the time.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Brad
My 120v compressor started to become intermittent and finally quit working. Pulled the well pressure switch and found the air side of the diaphragm completely blocked with corrosion. I don't see the diaphragm in your picture is it located remotely?

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

What Steve said. Thumbs up

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

(09-13-2023, 04:19 PM)Latitude 28 Wrote:  Brad
My 120v compressor started to become intermittent and finally quit working.  Pulled the well pressure switch and found the air side of the diaphragm completely blocked with corrosion.  I don't see the diaphragm in your picture is it located remotely?
Well pump switch is directly below the relay mounted near the floor.  I’ll try a new one of those as soon as I get home.

Thanks!

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

I don’t think that is your well pump switch. That looks like the HWH pump override relay box. When the HWH leveling calls for air, it provides power to the 120V pump AND bypasses the well pump switch.

It is unclear to me when you say one side has power and one does not exactly what you are saying because it could mean two different things. One side of the HOT relay has power, and the other side of the contact does not. OR the hot side has power, and the neutral side (white) does not. Which is exactly how it should be.

First thing I would check is the breaker on the inverter feed. It will be a small AC breaker box on the driver side in the inverter bay.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(09-13-2023, 04:58 PM)Richard Wrote:  I don’t think that is your well pump switch. That looks like the HWH pump override relay box. When the HWH leveling calls for air, it provides power to the 120V pump AND bypasses the well pump switch.

It is unclear to me when you say one side has power and one does not exactly what you are saying because it could mean two different things. One side of the HOT relay has power, and the other side of the contact does not. OR the hot side has power, and the neutral side (white) does not. Which is exactly how it should be.

First thing I would check is the breaker on the inverter feed. It will be a small AC breaker box on the driver side in the inverter bay.
 Correct, the picture was not of the pump switch.   See attached new pic.  What I circled is what has power.  Checked breaker at inverter and all was well there.

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

Let me try again. That switch is ONLY activated when the HWH leveling system calls for air. Try this, put the coach in level mode and activate one of the raise switches. The compressor should come on.

Now, in normal operation, that switch does not come into play. In normal operation, the well pump switch controls the on/off of the compressor.

As far as checking AC power, if you put one lead on the HOT (black) wire and the other on either the NEUTRAL (white) OR the ground (green) you should read 120VAC. If you measure between the Neutral and the ground you will get zero.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

(09-14-2023, 05:37 AM)Richard Wrote:  Let me try again. That switch is ONLY activated when the HWH leveling system calls for air. Try this, put the coach in level mode and activate one of the raise switches. The compressor should come on.

Now, in normal operation, that switch does not come into play. In normal operation, the well pump switch controls the on/off of the compressor.

As far as checking AC power, if you put one lead on the HOT (black) wire and the other on either the NEUTRAL (white) OR the ground (green) you should read 120VAC. If you measure between the Neutral and the ground you will get zero.
Long day of traveling.  I'll check the power with a meter tomorrow.  One thing I did notice this morning when I fired it up.  All air had drained out of the system overnight and when I fired coach up this morning and went into travel mode compressor did not kick on at all.  I think in the past that compressor will kick on in that situation?

On your test in level mode.  I'm assuming I need all air to be out of the system, start coach, go to level mode, hit raise and see if compressor kicks on?

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

On the level mode test, the air does not have to be out of the system. Simply press one of the up buttons. That sends a signal from the HWH brain to the relay to provide power BYPASSING the well pump switch.

https://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?t...&pid=59481

You might want to review this thread. And check connections.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Brad,
Al @ HOTRODRANCH657, with 2003 coach #657, had done a complete rework of his R1 bay.  He gave me permission to share his detailed drawing that he drew up of the switch you are dealing with in hopes that it may help.  With Al's background, running a Mercedes and BMW repair shop in Naples, his attention to detail kept him out of trouble on this project.....everything went back together with no issues.....he hopes it helps with your problem.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL