You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Door skin repair

My exterior door skin has peeled from the inner metal base. I bought the coach like this. I made a repair along the top which seems as if the expanded foam pushed the door shell apart from initial construction. This required me to use a long 12 tooth sawzall blade to cut some of the foam out. I applied double sided 3M tape and clamped the door skin. After about an hour I didn't feel comfortable leaving just the tape to hold the skin as it still had resistance from the spray foam. I installed a few rivets along the top. Now it's good and water tight. Of course I noticed the side of the door skin has peeled. Not sure if I should rivet it or if there is a decent adhesive I could put in there and clamp it. Anyone go through this? I have replaced a bunch of double sided tape on the upper side mouldings where the body skin is riveted at the center. Over the summer, the sun would bake and cool the metals which would lead to the screws coming loose and the metal trim flopping downward. I am trying to get as much done in time for the paint work since I am sure these guys won't do such repairs.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Simon,
Take a look at my door repair....https://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=5075&highlight=door+skin....mine was exactly as yours.  Completed the repair and have had no issues since.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

One more thing...in the picture with the T-square in the fore ground....its hard to see but I have another T-square in the back ground....both are on each end of the door. That creates a nice sight line to verify a dead flat door.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Thanks Steve! With a couple of weeks to go before the rally and dropping off the coach to the painter, I do not want to pull the door off. I may just rivet it and call it good. Paint will hide the rivets. I've got to start picking my important battles. Maybe some Dicor in the gap and a few rivets. Door is well aligned and closes properly. The top gap was a serious offender and has been resolved. Looks like someone had filled the lower side gap and painted it some time ago. Still looks good.
Diesel keeps shooting up around my area and is now at $4.99. Going to fill up the rest of the tank tomorrow before it hits $5.19 while the coach is still not all taken apart!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Simon,

I used this:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08115-Panel-Bo...164&sr=8-1

to glue several mounting brackets onto the inside of one of my coach’s side panels. I’ve got maybe 5000 miles on the repair, including a hundred plus miles going down into Mexico to Puerto Penasco. It seems to work exceptionally well. I bought the special caulking gun to go use with it.

Currently, that’s all that’s holding that panel in place. No rivets, bolts or screws; just the adhesive.

06 M450LXi 3 slide