You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Radio looses power

The radio won't power up with ignition switch on, will power up on  shore power when first plugged in, then will shut off and maybe after awhile will come back on and off. I'm trying to figure out what drives the voltage to the radio 12/120v  so I can make sure it works every time.

Rick and Barb Carlson

1996 Newell #405

Hi Rick,

Sorry to answer a question with a question, but are you talking about the radio in the dash OR are you talking about the radio that is part of the house audio system. The one in the dash is 12Vdc. The big stereo unit is 120VAC.

It sure sounds like a loose connection. Don’t forget about the radio ground. Do you have a removable faceplate on the radio? If you take off the faceplate and reinstall does the radio come on?

Can you post a pic of the radio?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Hey Richard, My 12v in dash radio works off of 120v also, it's the only radio I have. I'm trying to get it straighten out before I put a new flip up single din in it's place.

Rick and Barb Carlson

1996 Newell #405

I'm personally not aware of any 12v DC/120v AC in-dash radios, it's most likely a standard 12v DC radio. Being intermittent it sounds like a grounding issue or possibly a bad solder sleeve. No telling if the PO has messed with the wiring, so you should trace the wires yourself and verify the wiring. Wire tracers are fairly inexpensive, I currently am using a https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PJ4T6VQ?ref...tails&th=1. I need all the network functionality because my home has structured wiring for everything low voltage.

I personally have my radio power controlled by my ignition switch, where the ignition switch needs to be either acc or on to power up the radio.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad