You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Rockwell RS23160 Differential Pinion Leak

So when I inspected #490 when I picked it up I noticed that the differential was wet and it appeared to be coming from the pinion. So while I had the wheels off to get the tires put on, I did some inspection of the driveline components and greasing of course too while I was under there. 
I was hoping the pinion seal leak was just from sitting and getting dried out, but I don't think I have that good of luck. 
So while I had the bus properly supported I released the parking brakes and then spun one of the drive hubs and did not like what I heard. To me it seems to have quite a bit of lash in the rear diff gears. I was discussing this issue with my parts buddy and he said he would suspect the pinion bearing is worn, which would also explain the pinion seal leak. So at some point I am going to be pulling the carrier and sending it off for a rebuild. 

I did do some cursory searches on differentials on here but did not see a whole lot come up in the searches of others having issues. 
Any one else had to have their diff fixed, just curious if its a common problem or something that just happened on mine. There is always a possibility with the diff lock that someone forgot and left it on, that would be hard on the pinion. I have not even tried turning the diff lock on, does it give an audible warning when its on? I guess if it does have an audible warning then my theory it was left on is a little more far fetched. 

In my searching I did find parts and maintenance manuals for the Rockwell 160 axles:
.pdf rockwell-rt46-160-parts-list.pdf Size: 3.57 MB  Downloads: 3

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

Jeff,

My Diff Lock does not have an audible warning.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

(10-02-2023, 06:13 PM)hbens Wrote:  Jeff,

My Diff Lock does not have an audible warning.
Thanks Hank, I will try to remember to check mine. 
So the possibility of someone turning on the diff lock and driving around could be in the realm of possibility. I am sure that would be hard on the diff when your on pavement. I should have probably checked to see if my diff lock works while I had it up in the air, but did not really think about it.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

When I first drove my coast back from the west coast, I had inadvertently turned on the diff lock. The light was not illuminated on the dash, that turned out to be the senso harness was broken (since repaired. But the beeping! I had to call Richard and Tom whilst driving to figure out what it was... Sure glad they helped me figure THAT one out!

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

(10-02-2023, 06:35 PM)Wanderman Wrote:  When I first drove my coast back from the west coast, I had inadvertently turned on the diff lock. The light was not illuminated on the dash, that turned out to be the senso harness was broken (since repaired. But the beeping! I had to call Richard and Tom whilst driving to figure out what it was... Sure glad they helped me figure THAT one out!
Well as I have heard a wise man say on here, no two coaches are alike! So maybe some have a beeper, maybe some do not work anymore, guess I will just have to try mine and see what happens. 
Thanks for the input Rick!

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

Well I had to do some shifting of vehicles and trailers around yesterday so we pulled the coach out if it’s parking spot, which is a bit of an ordeal until I get some grading done on my driveway. I have to schlep out boards to drive on so the front and read do not drag as I pull out of the swale. 

Anyways I turned on the diff lock, and mine has no audible warning but I have a lighted switch that indicates it’s on. 
So now I have to decide when I am goi g to pull the diff carrier. I have a trip coming up to the Wanderlodge rally. Yes we are taking the Newell, some folks asked us to bring it actually. 
Then we are planning a trip to Texas for Christmas and new years. I am thinking I would like to get it done before then, but I really do not want to pull it and get stuck not having it done in time. I would think a couple of months would be enough time, but you never know. I will be relying on a diff shop to look it over and let me know what it needs and then parts could be an issue, who knows.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

My .02 for whatever it’s worth. Both Newells I have owned had a TON of lash in the diff.

You might think about easy first. Replace the seal. Check the carrier for free play at the shaft while you have the driveshaft loose.

That coach had an unusual mileage pattern. He would drive it to New Mexico and back once a year. And to Florida and back once a year. Then it would sit, in the Texas heat, the rest of the time. It could be as simple as a dried out seal.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(10-04-2023, 09:43 AM)Richard Wrote:  My .02 for whatever it’s worth. Both Newells I have owned had a TON of lash in the diff.

You might think about easy first. Replace the seal. Check the carrier for free play at the shaft while you have the driveshaft loose.

That coach had an unusual mileage pattern. He would drive it to New Mexico and back once a year. And to Florida and back once a year. Then it would sit, in the Texas heat, the rest of the time. It could be as simple as a dried out seal.

Yea, I was thinking about that myself. I was also thinking of just pulling the carrier and inspecting myself before sending it to the “experts”. My parts buddy says he knows who to send it to, but sometimes the folks that were at those places years ago are no longer there and I do not want to be out my diff being held hostage by a shop I cannot control. I have control issues ?, that’s why I started doing all my own work in the first place!

I think I am also going to have my buddy drive it and then I can go to the back and listen for any abnormal gear train whine etc.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

Jeff, I don't have much to add aside from having a pro look at it. Richard gives the most sound advice here and I do agree a simple seal might be all you need. Having said that, I do plan on attending the Wanderlodge rally and it would be neat if we could have both Newells together! Looking forward to meeting you!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Jeff, did you drain the oil and see whats up in there. Could be a good time to change to synthetic as well. Of course there will be some junk in the oil but shouldn't be any big ones. After oil is drained stick you finger or magnet in the hole looking for stuff. If there's nothing major in there I'd change the seal and fill it up. Also the smell of the oil may indicate if it's been real hot.

Mark and Marian

1986 #125   (left us for a new home in Oregon)
1999 Wanderlodge LX40
1979 Mc 8 6V92
Pace 28' stacker

Regina Beach SK  Maricopa AZ