You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Windshield

So I'm having an issue with the windshield(s) unsealing themselves. I think. 

So I had the left window replaced and at that time they replaced the gasket for both windows. They had a hard time getting them both set correctly. I

On my last travel day, after returning to the highway I was assaulted with the most horrendous whistling noise coming from the windows near as I can tell. 

When I pulled off the highway onto a dirt parking lot the drop off the pavement was about 3 inches. I was traveling about 15 mph and slowing rapidly when the from right hit the dirt. I parked for lunch and then returned to the highway.    

I have been fighting a right side HCV that likes to go FULL UP so I stop and lower that side and then raise it to normal height via the travel button on the HWH. It might last a day or an hour but always comes back. It is on the list to be replaced soon. 

So are these coaches known to have windshields to pop loose? What is a solution?

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.  

First of all, the torqueing of the coach will pop out the windshield in our era coach.

Second, it’s not too hard to reseat the glass and move the gasket IF you have this tool. https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-47000-Winds...6786570532

DO NOT remove the locking strip if you do not have this tool. It is an easy job with the tool to put the strip back in, and an IMPOSSIBLE one without the tool .

Third, and I am hesitant to go down this path because it is definitely zebras not horses. I had the occasion to help an Newell owner with a windshield that WOULD NOT stay in place. When he had the glass replaced at the mothership, he insisted on a new gasket. I will cut to the chase scene. The new gasket had a wider wed width, the distance between the two open channels. It didn’t seem like much but it made the windshield extremely difficult to install because the windshield plus web width is now bigger than the opening in the coach. But it was forced into place many many times, only to pop back out as soon as the coach hit the road. The tell tale sign from the outside of the coach is the glass appeared ‘proud’ at the corners. It would sit outside the contours of the glass.

The solution was to remove a small amount of fiberglass from the opening.

The folks who made the first attempts did not truly understand the situation, so in an effort to get the glass to sit further back into the coach, they removed material along the A pillar. Several times.

The real solution was to remove material along the long horizontal runs at the bottom and top of the opening.

I am not saying this is your problem, but “new gasket” and “difficult to install” raised my eyebrows to the possibility.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard, is there any benefit to the straight vs curved handled tool that you so kindly posted the link to? I remember you showing me the tool but don't remember the handle type

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is

Arch,

I don’t know. I have had the straight handled one for years.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

A 10mm box end wrench works in a pinch to put the locking strip back in, but I would suspect it’s not nearly as good as the proper tool.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

(10-25-2023, 04:13 PM)Richard Wrote:  The solution was to remove a small amount of fiberglass from the opening.

The folks who made the first attempts did not truly understand the situation, so in an effort to get the glass to sit further back into the coach, they removed material along the A pillar. Several times.

The real solution was to remove material along the long horizontal runs at the bottom and top of the opening.

I am not saying this is your problem, but “new gasket” and “difficult to install” raised my eyebrows to the possibility.
Thanks for your reply. 

They do sound suspiciously similar. 

What amount do you suspect was needed to be removed? Do you expect this to be a long term fix, or will is just stay in longer between events?

1998 Coach 484
Cheers.  

Again, I am not saying this is your issue without seeing it. The giveaway was the area where the glass curves looks “proud” of the coach. It should appear in line with the coach lines.

About 1/4” total. Oscillating tool is your friend. Make a plastic drape to keep fiberglass away from as much as possible in the coach. Any time spent protecting against the dust will take one tenth the time it will take to clean it up. Not a job for the faint of heart. The glass is totally removed and so is the gasket. You need the pro vacuum cups, a scaffold, and two strong buddies.

It’s a long term true fix. If your coach is like the one that I worked on, the glass WILL NOT stay in place for any length of time without compensating for the thicker web in the new gasket.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

(10-26-2023, 02:21 PM)Richard Wrote:  Again, I am not saying this is your issue without seeing it. The giveaway was the area where the glass curves looks “proud” of the coach. It should appear in line with the coach lines.

About 1/4” total. Oscillating tool is your friend. Make a plastic drape to keep fiberglass away from as much as possible in the coach. Any time spent protecting against the dust will take one tenth the time it will take to clean it up. Not a job for the faint of heart. The glass is totally removed and so is the gasket. You need the pro vacuum cups, a scaffold, and two strong buddies.

It’s a long term true fix. If your coach is like the one that I worked on, the glass WILL NOT stay in place for any length of time.
I understand you are not telling me this is the fix. 

THe top left corner or the left glass and the bottom right corner of the right glass sit proud. The guys installing the glass fought for hours but could never get bothe corners fully seated. 

I can tell you I would have expected the issue to be with the A pillars but after hearing your descriptions I can follow the logic of the top and bottom being the issue. 

Thanks.

1998 Coach 484
Cheers.  

If those corners were proud, then you most likely have the issue because of the different dimensions of the new gasket.

The person I helped with this fought the problem for three years, so it won’t go away as the gasket ages.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

(10-27-2023, 06:31 AM)Richard Wrote:  If those corners were proud, then you most likely have the issue because of the different dimensions of the new gasket.

The person I helped with this fought the problem for three years, so it won’t go away as the gasket ages.

In talking with a glass installer he recommended an oversize gasket. Do you have any knowledge of these?

1998 Coach 484
Cheers.