You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tow Hitch Pictures for late 90's Newell's

(10-30-2023, 09:19 AM)Ok Gnawrocki1 Wrote:  The original hitch on my coach had a different design.  You would not want to copy that.....  It failed with a 4000# trailer and almost tore off.  Luckily I saw it before it detached.  The design had angle iron framing that has minimal twisting strength no matter how thick it is.

I came up with another solution from some other coaches.  

I removed the skid plats that were almost wore through and replaced them with bolt on skid plates along with a hitch that bolted through the skid plate frame.
The tube between the frame is 3 x 5 x 1/4 wall with 2-1/2 reciever. I am guessing it can tow more than it should.....

The bolt holes through the 1/2 skid plate frame were so much easier than I thought using a carbide hole cutter so I ended up getting a set of them.

The skid frame ends were not exactly parallel so some fancy measuring and mock up gave a perfect fit.

Thanks, this is exactly what I was thinking of doing. I am able to get a hitch that will allow me to mount it just like this.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

Sorry I'm so late chiming in here. Ours has a substantial hitch original to the coach. I seem to recall seeing 26k somewhere but I'm not positive what its rated for. I don't have great pix in my phone but will be home tomorrow  and will gladly get you pix from any angle you'd like

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is

(11-02-2023, 06:28 PM)Jonestead Wrote:  Sorry I'm so late chiming in here. Ours has a substantial hitch original to the coach. I seem to recall seeing 26k somewhere but I'm not positive what its rated for. I don't have great pix in my phone but will be home tomorrow  and will gladly get you pix from any angle you'd like

Arch, thanks for the photos! Yea that is a substantial hitch. Please post some pictures showing how it’s attached to the frame. I am also interested in that hitch that is on there, looks like it really raises the hitch way up. 
Thanks again!

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

Allrighty, it seems as though it's a big H frame,  welded to the frame rails. Receiver is 2.5inch with an adjustable hitch plate so you can mount your preferred hitch at your preferred height, although that's not really pertinent unless you like the idear to replicate for your use/needs.

Hopes this helps answer your questions. If not, feel free to ask me to send more pix

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463

Arch,

That design sure looks secure.  Have you considered adding any skid plates?  It looks like you have been dragging on the bottom of the hitch where you hook up your safety chains quite a bit.  You could use your existing bolts.

My skid plates have dragged and I have bought some hardcoat welding rod that I plan on building up to see if that wears better than soft steel flat bar.

Glen

Glen, hadn't thought about that yet but I like your suggestion

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463

So my hitch came in the other day and yesterday I started mocking up the way I want to mount the hitch. I started trying to use the mounting plates that came with the hitch but they are just not going to work. I am going to get some 1/2” plate to use since I am going to have to make smaller support brackets. I will then get these brackets welded on the ends of the tube and then they will bolt up to the frame with grade 8 bolts. BTW the old hitch had grade 5 bolts in it. This is a 16k rated hitch with a 2" reciever.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

So I finally finished up my hitch. It was a bit more of a project than I expected. Ended up having to pull the exhaust tip and also a coolant hose to the bottom radiator to make room to drill holes for the bolts. I think overall I am happy with it. It’s bolted up with (4) 5/8” grade 8 bolts. They go through (4) 1/2” plates, the new hitch has (2) 1”/2 plates and they are sandwiched between the other 2 plates attached to the frame. I have to put the coolant pipe back on and also mount the bracket and re-install the trailer plug. 

Here are some photos:

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490