You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Access to windshield wiper linkage

So we will update in a few days on the great shakedown of coach 480. All went very well. Right side windshield wiper stopped working. Seems like linkage issue as I can move it freely from the outside. After looking it seems I can access the assembly from in front of the dash on the inside. Has anyone tackled this yet ?

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides
Detroit Diesel  series 60   turned up to 745 hp  

On 316 the drive shaft is a cone shape that is splined. It may only require lifting the cover and tightening the nut on the outside. If u need to remove there are nuts on the shafts and another bolt all accessed from the outside.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

If the spline is wore out the motor will need to be replaced or repaired. If that were the case and the motor is working properly I would apply some “country boy” repair to give the spline traction on the arm. While it is apart remove the idler and clean and grease it. I think I did a post on that several years ago.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Thank you. I have checked spines and all is good. I believe it is the linkage behind the front cap that has failed for the right side wiper assy. Trying to figure out how to acess that linkage

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides

I didn't remove the motor. If my memory is correct, once I removed the nuts under the wiper arms and the one bolt next to them the motor was loose. That bracket on the outside comes completely off. It seems like there should be a bracket on the inside but I cannot confirm. You will need to access the inside anyways.

Adam,

The wiper arm is mounted directly to the motor shaft. There is no linkage. You actually have a motor for each side.

I would remove the wiper arms and confirm that the motor shaft is turning before going any further.

You may can get to the motor by snaking your arm up and over the wiring panel at the passenger feet. If not that the top of the dash will have to be removed.

A COMMON issue is that the idler arm siezes on that setup and it stalls the motor. Sometimes it can be rescued with a little grease. Sometimes it is rusted beyond rescue. Steve Denton @latitude28 found an exact replacement that was used on international trucks. http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=5077 See post nine in the thread.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I will tackle this issue and advise. The arm moves freely, mabey the shaft broke off, will get it apart.

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides

My passenger side wiper arm recently quit moving. The fix was to remove the wiper, clean the splines and reattach the wiper.
Hopefully your issue will be this easy and at zero cost.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

Well pulled both sides down and here is what I am looking for.  motor on passenger side splines completly stripped off arm and motor. Thinking about tack welding that sucker back together. Driver side motor bearings are out at the shaft.  So Newell no longer can get these motors or wiper arms. I am looking for both driver side and passenger side wiper motors and at least 1 arm assy.  Anybody had any success on replacing with something different than the bosch parts. I have read some info from Latitude28 but not so sure this will fix this issue on the wore out motors
Factory wiper motor parts #s are
driver side 9-397-232-021
passenger 9-397-232-022

looking for used or new

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides