You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Rebuilding Six packs

I rebuilt both "six packs" with Tom's kits.  Over the years since owning the coach had the front six pack acting weird on different occasions.  Nothing that was consistent just intermittently wonky.   Verifying that I did not hook something up wrong I came across I had my wife operate the HWH control panel will checking to see if the solenoids were activating.  Referring to the drawing (attached) of the six pack that I have annotated.  The driver"s raise/lower solenoid never operated in the conditions I outlined in my notes. 

Thinking this might be a normal condition I asked another owner and he assured me that it was not.  Did some troubleshooting by checking fuses in the HWH control box and connections inside the box.  Further digging, found the "Driver's" side raise solenoid +12vdc pin pushed back in the Delphi Weather Pack connector.  I had not disturbed the connectors when rebuilding the six pack (also had not disturbed all the other connectors as well). Looks like the original solenoid and it's been that way for a long time.  Also, found two other weather pack connectors not seated very well.  Verified the solenoid worked by applying 12v to the solenoid.  Verified 12v coming out of the HWH computer.  Confirmed operational once all hooked back up.....that one is good.  Drivers side lower Solenoid.  Checked all fuses and connections then verified the solenoid worked by applying 12v to the solenoid....that worked properly.  Checked for 12v coming out of the computer and that was good to go.  applied 12v to the solenoid and that was good as well.  Cleaned connector and verified operation....so that is now working.  This was a good exercise on understanding how the system is supposed to work.....I have been having weird things happening, that did not make sense, over the last five years, that are explainable now. 

This was a good exercise on HWH leveling system operation that was fun to figure out.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

(10-30-2023, 08:53 AM)Latitude 28 Wrote:  I rebuilt both "six packs" with Tom's kits.  Over the years since owning the coach had the front six pack acting weird on different occasions.  Nothing that was consistent just intermittently wonky.   Verifying that I did not hook something up wrong I came across I had my wife operate the HWH control panel will checking to see if the solenoids were activating.  Referring to the drawing (attached) of the six pack that I have annotated.  The driver"s raise/lower solenoid never operated in the conditions I outlined in my notes. 

Thinking this might be a normal condition I asked another owner and he assured me that it was not.  Did some troubleshooting by checking fuses in the HWH control box and connections inside the box.  Further digging, found the "Driver's" side raise solenoid +12vdc pin pushed back in the Delphi Weather Pack connector.  I had not disturbed the connectors when rebuilding the six pack (also had not disturbed all the other connectors as well). Looks like the original solenoid and it's been that way for a long time.  Also, found two other weather pack connectors not seated very well.  Verified the solenoid worked by applying 12v to the solenoid.  Verified 12v coming out of the HWH computer.  Confirmed operational once all hooked back up.....that one is good.  Drivers side lower Solenoid.  Checked all fuses and connections then verified the solenoid worked by applying 12v to the solenoid....that worked properly.  Checked for 12v coming out of the computer and that was good to go.  applied 12v to the solenoid and that was good as well.  Cleaned connector and verified operation....so that is now working.  This was a good exercise on understanding how the system is supposed to work.....I have been having weird things happening, that did not make sense, over the last five years, that are explainable now. 

This was a good exercise on HWH leveling system operation that was fun to figure out.

Hmm good timing on this post Steve! I was fiddling with my HWH yesterday as I have the right rear does not seem to want to raise, unless I unplugged it and directly feed power to the connector with my power probe. I need to pull it apart and check the connectors now, I was thinking it was a computer issue. I was looking for the control box for the HWH, but did not get that far and I needed to move on to other more important projects. I was tracing the phone like looking cable from the operator panel next to the driver seat, followed it till it went through the floor and then got sidetracked and did not get back to trying to fine the control box, if there is one?

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

I'm curious what a whole new 6pack would cost. My front one although still working is badly corroded. I am also thinking it is one of the issues for the coach leaning to the left after a few days. Previous owner has tons of documented repairs but this one never was found. There are no air leaks that I can find. Seeing that the coach is in Iowa getting painted its not too far from HWH.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

It is a brisk 26 degrees tonight here in Amana Iowa. This cold weather will make leak finding a lot easier for the tech chasing your air problems .

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Simon,

Before you throw money at a new six pack, build yourself the classic air leak isolation setup as outlined many times on the forum. Install it BETWEEN the six pack and the offending corner. It will install where the air line for that corner exits the six pack. Easy with your pit.

Now isolate the six pack from the offending corner. If the corner still sags the problem is NOT the six pack.

Jeff,

The control box for the HWH will be in the outside compartment below the drivers feet. Big aluminum box with a gazillion wires going in and out.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Great news Steve. Our system works perfect but its been tampered with more than once by someone other than me, it actually scares me looking at the panel with all wires than been pulled from the grommets and plugged in from the front, I will tackle this some day while we are here but seen something Gordon (bestgenman) has done which would make rebuild much easier, he moved his 6 pack to the bulkhead inside the HWH compartment. This would certainly save a meal of dirt and grime like I ate when I rebuilt the front one.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Jack,
Moving the 6-pack to inside the compartment is interesting. That idea has just been put on my list. Low on the list but still on the list to consider.
One thing Richard said in an earlier post is to put studs in the front HWH 6-pack before reinstalling it and using nuts to secure it from the HWH compartment. Currently they are bolts in from the compartment under the driver seat and in my mind making reinstall a two person job.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

MANY months before I went at the factory, I requested that the front six pack be moved into the compartment inside, adjacent to it. They agreed, gave me a quote and then never performed the work as they said, "it was too time consuming."

I am still going to do it, but likely not till next summer. HAS to be better not to have it hanging under the coach in the weather and road crud.

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

Hank from the looks of it he had to lengthen a couple air lines but its a clean looking job, well thought out. Rick I don't see this as a big deal, now that I am here at the no rally rally I hear stories of radiator failures and some big jobs, makes my back hurt. Smile

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

(10-31-2023, 04:12 AM)Richard Wrote:  Simon,

Before you throw money at a new six pack, build yourself the classic air leak isolation setup as outlined many times on the forum. Install it BETWEEN the six pack and the offending corner. It will install where the air line for that corner exits the six pack. Easy with your pit.

Now isolate the six pack from the offending corner. If the corner still sags the problem is NOT the six pack.

Jeff,

The control box for the HWH will be in the outside compartment below the drivers feet. Big aluminum box with a gazillion wires going in and out.

Thanks Richard! Will have to get back in there and take a look.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)