You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

HWH Air Leveling Issues Found

So I have been having issues with my air leveling acting wonky. Typical issue would be it airing up with a list to the passenger side. I messed around at the rear six pack and proved by manually overriding the solenoids that the system was working fine from the air solenoid onward. Richard had lead me to where the control box would be found in another thread. 
I Today I finally opened up the HWH control box below the driver seat in the outside compartment. I was checking things with my power probe and generally examining looking for anything out of place. I put my power probe on one of the fuses and notice it started clicking and all I was doing was touching it. 

Upon closer inspection this is what I found:

As you can see the fuse was not correctly seated in the fuse holder, I found 2 of the solenoid fuses like this. 

After putting these fuses back into the holders, seems that the system is now operating correctly. I will need to do some more testing but I did hit the raise button and it raised the entire coach up, before it would just raise the left side. 

Here is a photo of my HWH control box

Here is the box layout drawing on the back of the cover

Showing where I found the box

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

I will spare you the gory details. I had recurrent wonky issues with the HWH system that were eventually traced to oxidized fuses in the main power supply to the boards. I pulled them all out, cleaned the fuses, and put them back in with a liberal coating of anti oxidizing goop.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(11-07-2023, 03:14 PM)[email protected] Wrote:  So I have been having issues with my air leveling acting wonky. Typical issue would be it airing up with a list to the passenger side. I messed around at the rear six pack and proved by manually overriding the solenoids that the system was working fine from the air solenoid onward. Richard had lead me to where the control box would be found in another thread. 
I Today I finally opened up the HWH control box below the driver seat in the outside compartment. I was checking things with my power probe and generally examining looking for anything out of place. I put my power probe on one of the fuses and notice it started clicking and all I was doing was touching it. 

As you can see the fuse was not correctly seated in the fuse holder, I found 2 of the solenoid fuses like this. 

After putting these fuses back into the holders, seems that the system is now operating correctly. I will need to do some more testing but I did hit the raise button and it raised the entire coach up, before it would just raise the left side. 

Good Job....A great find!

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

(11-07-2023, 04:16 PM)Richard Wrote:  I will spare you the gory details. I had recurrent wonky issues with the HWH system that were eventually traced to oxidized fuses in the main power supply to the boards. I pulled them all out, cleaned the fuses, and put them back in with a liberal coating of anti oxidizing goop.
That might be a clue, it appears that the previous owner was pretty good about keeping up with the forum and wonder if he was removing fuses to check and clean them and did not get them back seated properly. It would appear that many of the suggested mods on here were done by the previous owner. I also corrected one of the set of plugs on the rear six pack, they had been swapped for the right and left raise. Thanks for the tips as usual.

(11-07-2023, 05:11 PM)Latitude 28 Wrote:  
(11-07-2023, 03:14 PM)[email protected] Wrote:  So I have been having issues with my air leveling acting wonky. Typical issue would be it airing up with a list to the passenger side. I messed around at the rear six pack and proved by manually overriding the solenoids that the system was working fine from the air solenoid onward. Richard had lead me to where the control box would be found in another thread. 

Good Job....A great find!

Thanks Steve!

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

Im like Richard, I chase leveling issues all the time. just recently it decided that it did not want to raise the right rear unless i go to raise mode then back to travel. Thinking one of the leveling valves I installed back there possibly has failed. But as long as it raises and doesnt lean IM happy at this point. But I will go pull all the fuses and clean just for maint concerns.

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides
Detroit Diesel  series 60   turned up to 745 hp  

Deoxit is your friend. Whenever I'd pull a fuse or connector I'd put a bit of Deoxit on it to clean the contacts. Then as Richard said add a bit of anti oxidizing goop to prevent further oxidation.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Good catch! I wish my box was like yours it amazes me how different each one of these coaches are, my box looks like methuselah's head of wires poking out the front the fuses are difficult to get to.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas