You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Murphy was an Optimist!

After looking at properties in Santa Fe we began the trip back. Since the under sofa heat exchanger is kaput we wanted someplace along the way with at least electric so we could run the fireplace for the salon. Found one a reasonable drivjng distance away in Wichita Falls, Tx. After an uneventful overnight we began our next leg to visit Steve in Louisiana.

30 Miles from his place the passenger side tag tire let go. Catastrophic failure. They are well within date codes and have exhibited no issues. TPMS did not see a rise in temperature nor a drop in pressure. We had just gone through some rough road/construction, but no idea what caused the issue.

Steve valiantly came to the rescue (what a guy!!) with an air over jack and tools, but I had already called a bunch of truck stops with mobile tire repair facilities. Both had the size I needed 11r24.5 some brand named "Double Coin" I'd never heard of. At least it's not a recap! Truck arrived several hours later while Steve and I had some great and varied conversations. Good thing I carry an assortment of tools as the service tech was missing some critical items, like the correct allen head to remove the hub covers! He did an great job getting it all squared away.

All in all no too bad a disaster and I am now safely ensconced in Steve's amazing shop, plugged in and getting ready to get some sleep. Tomorrow/Monday we will source another tire and swap the other tag (same as the bad one) And get some maintenance done. Mainly replace the teddy heater with the one I found on amazon and see if we can locate the nagging air leak(s)

Next stop after this? Maybe Chattanooga??

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

Rick did it damage anything? All the tires on the drivers are double coin because thats all they had when we had our blow out in Tucumcari NM. Steve is a special guy you don't find very often and we will make a point to see him again.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Enjoy your time with Steve, he is truly a fine southern gentleman and friend. Get him to take you to eat some good southern cookin'.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

He's coming over for coffee now.. Truly a good egg! Only damage was removal of some of the insulation above and behind the tire itself. I got it stopped within seconds.

Anyone know what undercoating product I can get to spray in a replacement?

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

Holiday Travel in Chattanooga if you are staying there.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Can anyone tell me the wiring color code for the teddy heaters low/high speed?

I have Green/White, green/red and a brown which I believe is a ground.

Trying to put the new heater in with Steve Smile

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

I don't know bro, but hook it up and if its backwards swap the terminals on the inside switch.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

No worries we figured it all out. Works pretty nicely. A little bit quieter overall than the original. Need to find some heater hose adapters to go from the newell ones to 1.6" outlets. Have a working solution now using rubber pipe reduces.. but there must be a better way.

Pictures later on.

Next stop.. replace other tag tire with same brand and air leak patrol.

Well, first coffee... then on to the "fun" stuff!

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

So……..since you asked but no one knew the answer.

And now you figured it out, and know the answer on the wiring. Would you mind posting what you learned for the next person searching for this information?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(11-27-2023, 12:16 PM)Richard Wrote:  So……..since you asked but no one knew the answer.

And now you figured it out, and know the answer on the wiring. Would you mind posting what you learned for the next person searching for this information?

Yes, please! I will be under the sofa before long replacing my fan motor.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)