You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Somfy awning motor

Our awning has never retracted it always went out but the motor hummed when trying to retract so we decided to replace the motor and found they are really expensive so I found one on ebay that had the same amount of torque for $400 but it didn't have the manual gear to manually extend and retract so i thought what the heck I'll order the ebay unit and swap heads out which was a great idea I thought well after removing the head and pulling the assembly apart I seen right of the bat what the problem was, it was the capacitor that had failed not the motor at all. So rather than make the swap of the motor I just changed out the capacitor and it works great, so with all this writing don't do what I did and spend money before you research the problem. Now I have a new spare motor. 

You can see from the picture how the capacitor popped the top out.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

I am with you - I have the unfortunate tendency to assume the worst, start at the most complicated end of the spectrum, and start buying large systems to replace what turns out to be an issue with a simple component (we just moved and I tossed a lot of money's worth of boat parts that hit the shelf in my garage over the years due to this tendency) but am slowly learning to start with the component parts before assuming the entire system is bad. Congratulations on fixing your awning!

2008 C-15/ZF12
Towing Jeep Gladiator (BluOx/AirForce)

As Richard likes to say "when you hear hoofbeats think horses and not zebras". Great advice!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Interesting, I hadn't considered a capacitor in an awning.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

Jim I'm with you but it's a single phase 120vac and it needs a capacitor to start the motor, my head was in the clouds. But I told Kathleen just think of the pile of $900 motors that someone charged $300 to swap a new one out that all they needed was a $26 capacitor. Trying to make myself feel better. Smile

Forest I asked Richard how long do you think it will take to get this thing in tip top shape and he said 2 years and in my mind I thought naw I can do it in 1 years 10.5 months. Smile

Gravette, Arkansas

Jack, It annoys me when I do that and end up with parts on the shelf. I just chalk it up to the price of a continuing education and figure we have saved enough in parts and labor to buy another Newell. Almost.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

If I die all there will be one heck of a garage sell, I got a collection of Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche and now Newell parts gathering dust. When I clean shelves I sometimes find stuff and think of where it came from and forgot I had it.

Gravette, Arkansas

Put me in your will Jack. I promise to continue your legacy and take care of the Ferrari's Wink Absolutely stunning cars. Marie and I still talk about the visit along with your generosity.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Smile thumbs up

Gravette, Arkansas