You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New Compressor (Again)

About two years ago, I revamped the generator blower compartment with a new blower fan with integral motor along with a new compressor. I spent something like $1000 or $1200 on a new Gast unit. Seemed to work fine until about 6 months ago when it began to randomly make a big racket. Sounded like air was escaping past its valves internally. It would fill the Aux tank from 65 to 100psi in about 4 to 5 minutes. After our recent trip, I needed to do something about it since it would wake Marie up with its noise transfer. I spent hours researching a quiet compressor replacement. It was between a Thomas or a California Tools. The third being a new Jun-air unit but with the expense of the paint job, the 4k Jun-air would get shelved on the idea.

I ended up getting a California MP100LF which is a longer life rated unit of theirs. I could have gone with a harbor freight compressor and harvested the pump but I wanted something more robust. The unit arrived on Saturday and with little motivation to do anything the curiosity of how quieter it would be got me back on track. I had the Gast out in 10 minutes and the new CT installed within the hour. I did install a new auto drain water separator with a 3/8" expulsion tube going outside of the compartment through the floor. Not worrying about forgetting to drain the old water separator takes another thing off my plate. 

The new unit is much quieter. I'd say about 30-40% difference but most importantly, is its smooth running. I should add that it fills the aux tank from 65-100psi in just under a minute. I believe it is rated at 3.21CFM @90psi. Not sure on the longevity of the unit but at $330 it was worth taking a chance. Time will tell if their uprated model will handle the heat of AZ summers.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Nice work, and thanks for posting.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Once again you've inspired me to follow suit.
Question: was it plug-n-play or did you need extra parts to swap out the Gast?

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is

Mostly plug and play. I added stainless flex high heat hose from pump to water separator.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312