You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New Here

Hello All,
I am the NewGuy.  Bought a 1974 Coach that has lived here locally since New.  I remember when it came to town and knew the owner.  Wasn't used much and was kept inside it's whole life.  When he passed the coach went to his friend and it was given the same treatment.  He and his wife used it all over West Virginia..  Well he also passed and the coach stayed inside for many years.  She sold it to me a couple of months ago.

New batteries, fuel filters, and a little finnesse and we drove it out of storage and about 15 miles home.  This Coach is like a Time Capsule.  Not a Scratch anywhere, inside or out.  No wear pattern on the carpet or any of the furniture,  no damage at all.  Only shows 19600 miles.  Don't know whether to believe that or not but I have the service records from Cummins and they seem to back it up.  Only thing is it has a VT555 and a lot of folks do not like them.

I have had everything,  fluids, belts, hoses, changed and am waiting for new air bags.  All filters too have been replaced. She runs very well but smokes a little,  not bad though.  From researching there seems to be a lot of these engines in Boats.  Mr. Gearing at Newell told me as long as I did'nt push it too hard it should be fine.  We will see.  If not I will repower.  Just don't laugh,  I cannot find the switch for the water pump.  It works because I hooked 12v to it,  just cannot find that darn switch!

Have already replace the Original Sony Color TV 8 Track Player and Original Sound System and now have WIFI and an all new Camera System.  I will get there hopefully by spring.    I have been here long enough.  Hope I was not too boring.  Alfred M. Nesbitt  [email protected]

Pictures will follow I hope!

Welcome Newguy! Love those ol classics. I had a 1978 with the “triple nickel” It ran great on the flat, was slow in the hills and sounded wonderful. !

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Welcome NewGuy! My first Newell was a 1973 with a CAT 1160 and this forum didn't exist. It was severely underpowered, but my wife wishes we still had it. I towed an extended cab 4x4 ranger pickup without any problems other than I couldn't keep up with traffic going up hills.

I currently have a 1986 that I'm in the process of repowering with a 2001 Cummins ISM and ZF transmission. After 4 back surgeries that process has extended way longer than I anticipated. There are improvements over the 1973 that I really like, a 12.5kw diesel generator that exhausts through the roof, and 8 airbag suspension that levels the coach.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Welcome and when you can post some pictures of your jewel.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Way Cool !!!!!! Thanks for joining. By all means post some pics.

If you are referencing the water circulation pump for getting coolant to the front for dash heat, then there may be a micro switch on the backside of the temp control slider for the heat. When the heat is all the way to HOT, the microswitch turns that pump on

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I was actually talking about a switch for the Water Pump for Kitchen, Bath, and Toilet Water.  Still cannot locate it.  

Al Nesbitt

Welcome aboard Al
Cool story and congrats 
Looking forward to seeing pix
Attached photo may help finding the elusive pump switch 
Are we to assume that you are in WestVirginia!?!

See you down the road

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is

Check in cupboards under kitchen and bathroom sink

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

I agree with Arch (@Jonestead), I've used mine through walls and ceilings to trace wires. Attach the red wire from the sender to the positive lead on your pump and turn the sender to 'tone'. Turn the volume up on the wand, use the test button to follow the wire. I believe the water pump switch on my 73 was on the kitchen side of the entry door.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Welcome Aboard Al!
I'm also looking forward to pics of your coach and reading about your journey and work projects on it.
I like to do as much of the work I can myself. Otherwise I can't afford to keep our Newell. When we were at Newell this year the service writer described our coach as a time capsule also. We like the vintage look of our insides.
Are you also in WV?

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile