You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Mid Entry Stairs - Intermittent operation

My stairs seem to be intermittently "stuck" over the last year. I have used all types of lubricant and also having techs look at them. They'll be in the down position for a short period and for long periods and then one day, they'll retract and operate until left out for an extended time. No consistent pattern that I otherwise have noticed.

Any inputs welcomed.

jim - #623

Jim & Sherri Thurman
2002 Quad Slide - #623

Home: Clayton, CA

2nd Home: Desert Shores RV Resort, Indio, CA

If you have Kwikee steps, you can get a troubleshooting pigtail. I think I got mine on Amazon.

Here is a troubleshooting guide on youtube
Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AzkvylZH7Y
Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ2t1yKQ_vw

i use a pigtail and power supply. you can test each function that way without being underneath it

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Does yours have a magnetic switch at the door? Possibly it's out of adjustment (pushed in too far) or wires are damaged. You could use a magnet to activate the door switch and see if it's working properly.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Intermittent operation troubleshooting is fun (said nobody ever)!
I solved my problem once by reseating the relays in the compartment just in front of the door. I reseated all three of them. I'm not sure which solved the problem but only for a while.
I ended up replacing the motor, gear box and controller sourced on eBay. One of the bolts that holds the motor to the gear box is too long. I added a couple of washers to the bolt and the step works great.
I added links in a thread someone else started on this forum.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile