You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Carefree Paramount Patio Awnings-Motion Sensor Repaired

Both motion sensors did not work so the awnings would not automatically retract when the wind started blowing.  The awning control was flashing red which indicates a fault in the motion sensor.  Called Newell & found the awning control box in the rear closet underneath the circuit breaker box velcro'd to the side wall carpet.  It was suggested to check the wiring on the roof at the awnings.  Sure enough both awnings had problems there.  One had 2 broken wires, the other had insulation disintegrating inside the outer sheathing, mainly the white wire.  The wiring is weatherproof and UV rated but that piece didn't fare well up there.  Was told the wire sometimes gets crimped at the awning arms when they fold up.  The connectors I'm trying out are the same as the phone company has used, Ideal 85-950 Telephone Splice Connectors with moisture sealant.  Will see how that works out.  The motion sensors work now and the red light is no longer flashing.                 

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

Had the exact same call with Newell today!

(12-07-2023, 04:13 PM)afrench Wrote:  Had the exact same call with Newell today!
Next up, StabilRide.  Intermittent Right Rear fault which I figure may be a bad splice connection.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

Ugh. This makes me even MORE fearful of those stupid control wires for the motors!

They are tended by a cheap nylon wire anchor that easily deteriorates, cracks, and lets the wires find their way to be chafed by the spindle!

I’m amazed more of us don’t have problems. Good thing you caught it before it damaged your control boards because…guess what…you can’t get a replacement from Carefree!

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA