You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Back riding low?

I just came home from picking up my “new” 1996 Newell. It was an adventure that I’ll share in another post but wanted to ask if anyone knows how high these coaches need to ride? The reason I ask is because mine would hit the asphalt (back trailer hitch steel protector)every time we drove into a parking lot or small 5-10 degree grade. Is this normal.? It seems the back clearance is only about 8”. My novice opinion is, besides maybe needing new airbags(I think these are originals), I may need to adjust the leveling valves or solenoids? Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

Ole
1996 Newell 45’

Before you jump on the airbags there are ride height valves in the back that control the height the coach going down the road in travel mode not to forget the tag axle pressure could be off. There is a measurement for the proper ride height and where to measure this on the forum.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

(12-08-2023, 04:14 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  Before you jump on the airbags there are ride height valves in the back that control the height the coach going down the road in travel mode not to forget the tag axle pressure could be off. There is a measurement for the proper ride height and where to measure this on the forum.

thanks Jack. I will look for ride height on the forum Smile

Ole
1996 Newell 45’

I looked for the information this morning and I have seen the measurements but could not find them, leaving for airport as I type.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Also look on the dash for a switch labeled tag, it might be a 3 position switch. If so make sure it's in the middle position. That switch IIRC allows you to adjust weight on the tag by adjusting the tag bags pressure.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Ole,
From my memory about the travel height: measured behind the steering tires and in front of the drive tires I look for 11" to 12". I measured from the bottom of the fender skirt but I believe there is a bracket or square tube where the official measurement is taken.
When I brought mine home I was having operator issues going from Park to Drive. I wasn't sure I was in travel mode because the light green Travel Mode idiot light was very dim. I expected it to be red. I didn't see the light on until dusk. I went outside and measured the distances mentioned so I knew the coach went from level to Travel Mode.
My operator issues was in the sequence for moving forward. I driver training you put your foot on the service brake, shift it in gear, remove the parking brake, ease of the service brake and go. My XMSN doesn't go in gear when the parking brake is set. I burned over an hour in the rest area trying to figure this travel mode out.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

As far as I can tell, ride height looks to be correct at about 11 inches, but the back between the asphalt and the (protector wheels at trailer hitche) is only 5 inches. I’m thinking the tag axel’s pressure may be the issue. How do ai adjust/check it?

Ole
1996 Newell 45’

Some Newells had adjustable tag pressures, many do not, the tag air bag pressure is the same is the drive bag pressure. You can easily tell. If you have one six pack in the rear passenger engine compartment, the tag pressure is not adjustable. If you have two six packs, one will have regulated air going into it. That is the adjustment for tag pressure.

You have stated the ride height appears correct, meaning somewhere between 11 and 12 inches measured at the square tubing just inside the fender flares. If the front were higher, it would kick the rear down.

I just measured and I have 11.5 inches clearance at the hitch receiver with a standard hitch, not a 20K hitch. However I only have about 8 inches between the ground and two skid bars welded to the frame.

Can you post a pic of your hitch the wheels you reference? A previous owner may have added a heavier hitch, and or those skid wheels you reference.

In general, Newell hitches are far closer to the ground than other Class A motorhomes. The 20k hitch hangs even closer than a standard hitch.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I have a six pack in the back and another 6 pack in the front driver side compartment. I’m headed over to my coach now to see about posting a couple of pictures. Thanks

Ole
1996 Newell 45’

I took some pictures. It looks like 6” between ground and welded steel wheel on hitch. About 12” on side. I have a small leak coming from somewhere in the front six pack area. I’ll have to figure out exactly where it’s coming from. Any suggestions?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ole
1996 Newell 45’