You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Silverleaf Heat Control

Currently, I am unable to start heat on any of the (3) zones via the Silverleaf panel.  The left & right dash heat buttons work fine utilizing the Aqua-Hot.  The rear and mid bath Honeywell thermostats also work.  Cooling control works fine via the Silverleaf for all (4) zones.   I have roof A/C's with no heat pumps.

Spoke to Newell, and they had me do a Silverleaf reset and battery disconnect to see if a reboot might help.  Also reseated the connections on the Silverleaf TM-220 module located above the front entry door.  All settings in the climate section of the Silverleaf appear to be correct.  

Any ideas before I start ordering replacement Silverleaf components?

Rob
2016 Newell #1536

Any solar? That would also have to be disconnected. There are times the Silverleaf climate does not respond to touch and times I have to press harder or slightly offset from a button. Eventually it works again. Keep us posted.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

Finally got the heat controls back after speaking with both SilverLeaf and Newell.  They suggested replacing the TM-220 Heat/Furnace controller module.  Price from Newell was $380 plus shipping.  Newell didn't have them in stock, so SilverLeaf sent them one and then to me.  Replacement was simple as this and two other modules (A/C's) are located above the front entrance door.  Remove two cabinet screws, pop the cover loose from the cabinet style latches, and the cover hangs down by some nifty support straps.

After replacement, I tested the heat and found that the bedroom and salon zones were working, but the galley zone still did not respond to any heat commands.  The two working zones are Aqua-Hot heat, while the non-working galley zone receives heat from two Cadet heaters located below the dishwasher/sink area.  Back on the phone with Newell and they suggested to send the module back and they would test on another coach similar to mine.

My coach, #1536, may be the last coach that used SilverLeaf before the switch to the Intrepid controls.  I don't think SilverLeaf and Newell talk too much these days, as the communication between the two seems minimal.  I'm not sure how the modules are programmed from SilverLeaf before going to Newell.

Newell quickly reprogrammed the module and overnighted it back to me on their dime.  I know that no two Newells are alike and the coach not being in their shop made this more difficult to diagnose and repair.  It should be noted that the programming for these modules can be performed with the OmniScope software running on a laptop connected to the CAN (RV-C) bus of the coach.  SilverLeaf sells a license and USB connecting cable for this software for about $500.

One final note, the Tile ports on the TM-220 module are not used for tile floor heating.  I believe these are handled by the TM-229 module located in the electronics bay next to the inverters.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Rob
2016 Newell #1536

I'm going through my system while she's at Newell. Funny how ya learn something new and odd every day, it seems.

I found out that the heater under the sink is actually FULLY ELECTRIC!!! WHAT? Yup...it's actually a COMFY and is considered an "auxillary" heater that runs independent of any other heat source; whether aqua-hot or engine. Crazy. Just so you don't miss the obvious, just check the breakers because I know the front "Cadet" heaters are on breakers.

It's STILL controlled via Silverleaf, though, and I HATE the placement of the Thermistor over the door for the "Salon" heater which is under the Reefer.

I only mention this info because we've been putting our heads together as to IF there's any sense in trying to reprogram the panel. The tech said it's a dumb way to do it, and fully agrees that it should never have been done that way. But...it's pretty difficult to start changing programming and thermistor locations.

Silverleaf techs are nice to deal with, but progress can be very slow since we are smaller than small potatoes to them now.

That said...our coaches look to be identical.

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

Steve,

All my zones are now working after the reprogramming.  

Also, you said to check the breakers as the front Cadets have them.  If by front, you mean the two dash heaters that are controlled by the Left Heat & Right Heat dash buttons? Those are actually Aqua-Hot heaters on my coach.  The only electric Cadet heaters I have are the ones in the Galley and there are breakers for them.

Rob
2016 Newell #1536

There are two Cadet electric heaters below the gally sink in 1482  There is a Manual Reset Temperature Limit Control accessible through the front cover of the Cadet to reset it as well as the breaker.
.pdf Cadet Heater Owner Guide.pdf Size: 2.75 MB  Downloads: 3
.pdf Cadet Perfectoe Cut Sheet.pdf Size: 203.55 KB  Downloads: 2
.pdf Perfectoe Cadet Heater Owner Guide.pdf Size: 797.99 KB  Downloads: 2

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

(02-13-2024, 05:30 PM)RobSC Wrote:  Steve,

All my zones are now working after the reprogramming.  

Also, you said to check the breakers as the front Cadets have them.  If by front, you mean the two dash heaters that are controlled by the Left Heat & Right Heat dash buttons? Those are actually Aqua-Hot heaters on my coach.  The only electric Cadet heaters I have are the ones in the Galley and there are breakers for them.

Glad you're up and heat'n again!!

Yes, the 2 dash heaters are controlled by rockers switches ARE Aqua-hot driven, but (presumably) powered by 12v fans.  So, I agree it doesn't make ANY sense they'd have breakers!

I think there's a misnomer going on, here. I just checked my notes. I was corrected by Newell on the term for the Galley heater; he said they call it an Auxillary heater, but yes...it's a Cadet, for sure. But, the files just posted by Jim are definitely the one.

He said they call the one under the fridge a "Comfy", which surprised me, because the only thing I've heard of being "Comfy" were the window-shades.  LOL

So, now I'm going to double check when I get back there!

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA