You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Windshield Replacements BE Wary!

On my trip back, no idea when, I received a crack in my Driver's side windshield. When Viracon was still in business, this would have been easy. Either get it from them to a glass installer or go to the factory and have it replaced. It appears that Newell used the same windshields from around 1991 till 1999.

Not so now. Evidently the glass tooling was sold to RV Custom Glass Solutions and they now supply newell and installers on demand. I spoke with them and they assured me that the tint band and overall tint will match the old Viracon windshields as they have not changed the vinyl nor formulation of the glass and it's made on the same tooling as before.

They were VERY helpful and I am expecting a picture of the glass shortly. In any event, newell does NOT have New Old Stock. I can only hope that they do match, other wise I will be setting up for an extended haggle with my insurance carrier to replace the passenger side as well. Seems to me it would be pretty distracting to have two different colors on your windshields!

Oddly, my carrier Progressive, has you call their main number, then the transfer you to their RV Glass dept, who then transfers you to Safelite who then transfers you to their RV Glass department. Be prepared for a shuffle. The Safelite RV Glass department supervisor indicated that, in the event the one side does NOT match, they would try and convince the insurance carrier to replace the other side. However, that is not a guarantee.

I am hoping it doesn't come to that.

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

Out of curiosity what does it cost to replace the glass out of pocket? I called Newell and got the gasket price of $448. I didn't think to ask about glass. Mine has a slight water leak on the inside so at the very least I need to replace the old gasket.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Newell quoted me around 567 for the glass plus about 250 shipping and their 10% handling fee. But since they are not NOS, you can order the glass from anyone... may be less expensive.

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

Thanks Rick. I was having dreams of the glass costing 1500 a piece. I may consider just driving to Newell and have them supply and change the gasket. New glass would be nice. Driver side has a crack on the inside at the bottom maybe from flexing along with some bullseye hits.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Supposedly there is a passenger glass piece waiting for me in New Bern NC.  I just went thru this with Progressive as well.  I am waiting for the installer to call to set up for install.  Wednesday will be a week since it was delivered to them, that is when they will get there chains rattled.

Karl and Lisa G.
Coach #385
Toad - Not ready for that yet Confused