You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Aqua Hot woes

Well, just go ahead and call me stupid, but after replacing the blower motors, the control board, and the brain box, I made one trip to Miami (OK), to pick up my trailer I had painted to match my coach there. Aqua Hot worked great, until the trip home. I got tired and stopped at a rat hole RV park for the night.. I got there after dark, and while trying to get to my spot, I had to swing extra wide to clear other campers with my trailer. Being that you cannot see out of my Newell after dark ( I wonder if they are all that way), I drove through some grass that had a tree stump hidden in it. Being that my Newell qualifies as a "low rider", the Aqua Hot exhaust pipe found the stump. It broke off, and water was draining out the bottom. It seems that I ruptured the boiler tank. So... back to Newell I go to get that repaired... estimated to be 5K.Needless to say, I had my wife along for the trip, and I had to explain to her why we had no water for the toilet, or shower. I am getting disgusted with my Newell. If it continues to be this problematic, it may be up for sale. I have, so far spent around 75,000.00 getting it roadworthy. I realize that this last episode was driver error, but enough already...

Coach Name: Hakuna Matata, 2005 Coach 722 47' Quad Slide, DD Series 60, Allison 6 Speed, Featherlite Toy Hauler

John.

Sorry to hear that. It is pretty normal to have an initial outlay to put things right on a new to you coach. Almost every one goes through this process. Most would tell you that it doesn't last forever.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

John,

Sorry to hear that....but if it makes you feel any better I did almost the exact same thing. My "grounding incident" was on the drivers side and I also rumpled up three doors.

The good news is that once you have a little experience withe the coach and get the initial bugs worked out, it becomes much more manageable. I also have the night driving problem and have tried several things to try to help (none of which have worked).

I am not sure if you are coming to Spearfish, but if so...I am sure that the rest of the bugs (if any) will be identified by the gang up there.

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

It is not just Newells. I have had a wanderlodge for 15 years ( a 78 and now the 96). If I have learned anything it is that I don't get rushed into anything when it comes to driving my bus. I don't back up without my wife out there with a radio, I don't get talked into parking is a spot that I don't like, and I take my time even if I hold up traffic. Almost every time I have done something I really didn't like, it ended in some sort of damage.

I had to park in a small campground in Vegas after dark, I turned all my landing lights on as I drive throught the tight park. It was a good thing as there were several trees that would have been impossible to see. I am sure some people thought that a UFO had landed. I didn't realize that the campground was so tight until I had checked in and then driven through the gate. Took it very slow, had a spotter with a radio before pulling in to the spot.

In short, I feel your pain. Sorry for your trouble. Your newell looks beautiful. Hope your luck improves.

Peter Haggins
Courtenay BC
Canada
96 Wanderlodge 42' Mid Door

All the problems will eventually work themselves out. Coach ownership teaches you patience!
Would love to see a pic. Of the coach and trailer together. I'm sure it's beautiful.
Goodluck with it, just give it time.

This is a photo of the trailer painted to match coach..

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Coach Name: Hakuna Matata, 2005 Coach 722 47' Quad Slide, DD Series 60, Allison 6 Speed, Featherlite Toy Hauler

John. What a Nice Rig! I'm sure your proud!! We all know (Murphy's Law) but when it happens, we're still Pssst.

Question? Compaired to the other Exec Coaches you have how would you rate the Newell's night driving/vision ability? What about ground clearance? We all already know some of the RV parks are not Big Rig friendly even when they claim so.

Jimmy

I think we've all been there , John. Especially those with older coaches. Your frustration is certainly understandable considering how new your Newell is. My Newells have never been less that 20 years old. Many times I have said that if you combine an old house with an old truck you have an old motorhome!! Keep in mind that most mechanical items (appliances, automobiles etc.) have a planned obsolescence of 10 to 20 years. Life in an RV probably shortens the life of some items. I would say that most of the systems are new enough in your Newell that you should have very few problems going forward.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

(05-11-2013, 04:31 AM)Ozarkguy Wrote:  John. What a Nice Rig! I'm sure your proud!! We all know (Murphy's Law) but when it happens, we're still Pssst.

Question? Compaired to the other Exec Coaches you have how would you rate the Newell's night driving/vision ability? What about ground clearance? We all already know some of the RV parks are not Big Rig friendly even when they claim so.
I was thinking that the door glass, and the driver glass was tinted. It is like a mirror at night, you can't tell what direction the traffic is coming from, because when you look to your right...what you see is traffic from your left reflected in the glass. Ground clearance is about 8 inches lower than a Prevost. You drag everything if you are not careful. The trailer hitch is super low and you drag it in most driveways. But it beats walking and sleeping in a tent...

Hi John,

I was thinking about your low ride level and was wondering if your ride height setting is correct?

I checked my coaches ride height yesterday just on a whim to do it and found it a little low.

All the best.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area