You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New steering pump gasket and Misc. stuff

My steering pump had been leaking over the years where the pump meets the engine at the rear. After our last trip, it left a mess of oil trails down the side of the transmission. Today I got around to pulling the pump, cleaning the mating areas and installing a new gasket. I also put in new grade 8 hardware.  I have a bit of cleaning to do still to make that area look good again. While at it, I removed the exhaust manifolds since they both had ruptured gaskets from corrosion. New gaskets arrived but I sent out the manifolds and pipes to a shop to have ceramic heat abating coating put on. New manifold studs are on order and I had to drain coolant since some of the studs entered the coolant galley in the head. My pit is a mess. Thankful I epoxy coated it for easier cleanup.  The dash air never worked from 2004 as documented so I removed the obsolete R12 compressor. Not sure if I am going to cut and pull the rubber lines (Past report findings suggested a leak from hoses that could never be found) My plans are to install one of those standalone electric a/c compressors that Mercedes and other EV carmakers use. I am sure prices of those will be at normal paces. If anyone wants the compressor it's yours free. Tomorrow I will work on removing the right side manifold studs. One skinned knuckle is enough for a day. Of course engine detail and paint will follow once I get to a certain point. I had stopped by Leo's shop but it seems he is very busy these days. I also feel he is in a more "Retirement" mode so I figured this engine will be all on me from now on. We will be losing a great mind soon. I do not know of anyone in Phoenix willing to work on this engine. Quite frankly, it makes me nervous. On the cylinder head, there are yellow markings that look like an alien wrote them. If anyone has any idea what they mean let me know.

And finally, Marie and I wish everyone a Happy New Year!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Could the strange markings be from a mechanic who kept track of where he was with an overhead adjustment ?  If you need a hand with potential engine work in the future, Scott at The Bus Grease Monkey in Centerville Tn does nothing but 2 cycle Detroits, We have been very happy with his work

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Hate to see Leo retire since he's such a great guy and great mechanic.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Simon that might be just reference symbols for torqueing the heads or something to do with valve adjustment or number on fuel injector. Happy New-ell years!

What ever you do don't buy one of those 28 or 48vdc a/c units from Amazon, very poor quality.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas