You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Front air leak

We developed an air leak in the upfront compartment. I removed the panel located in front of the brake pedal, sounds like it is coming from this area. I can't locate the source amongst all the lines. Depressing the brake seems to make it slow down a little. Any suggestions where to look? We are traveling down the coast of Oregon to Napa, CA, currently at an awesome park in Winchester Bay. Don't know where we would go to get it evaluated.

Larry 
Coach 392

Have you tried soap and water in a spray bottle? Another member here recently had a leak in that area and it was a fitting on the brake actuator, I would pay close attention to the slip fittings.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

I had that problem recently. Those push on fittings do not age well and the hose itself becomes less pliable with age.

Unlike the photo, mine had 90 degree swivell fittings. 2 of them were leaking. One was fixed but recutting the end of the tubing since there was enough slack, the other had the leak at the swivel and was replaced.

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

(01-03-2024, 08:43 AM)Jack Houpe Wrote:  Have you tried soap and water in a spray bottle? Another member here recently had a leak in that area and it was a fitting on the brake actuator, I would pay close attention to the slip fittings.

This is exactly where the sound is coming from, but I can't seem to find the right fitting. How to repair them once I find it? Thanks!

Your working on the brakes which is a sensitive area, if your not sure of yourself I would hire someone to do the job. The fittings are 1/4" male NPT to 3/8" tubing or it looks to be some 1/2" lines also so depends on which line you have leaking.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Larry,

This is my .01 cause it's not worth .02.

Air leaks are the number one problem on most Newells. Ignore them, and you will soon be replacing compressors. Also excessive compressor time can fill your system with water. That is no bueno.

Air leaks are not terribly hard to address and not hard to find using some simple techniques. As a Newell owner you would be well served to invest some time and read the entire section https://newellgurus.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33 on the Newell air systems. You will find invaluable information on the difference between Push On and Compression fittings. You will find techniques for locating air leaks. You find sources for the fittings.

Unfortunately there are no quick answers, and you will have to climb the learning curve. On the other hand, deep pockets are required to pay a technician to locate and remedy air system problems.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Larry,

Having an Amprobe ULD-405 is a tool that should have come with every Newell. I just released, yet anohter, video where I go into detail of using it to track down over a dozen leaks on our 2015...and I'm not even close to being done!

https://youtu.be/Auf0pzEPGfs?si=ZWVRNnHfYeJKirR5

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

Great video Steve! I searched high and low online. Amazon has the best price at $601 for the ULD 405. I think it was just under $500 a few months ago. Must be something special about the plastic they use on it...

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

(01-05-2024, 04:24 PM)BusNit Wrote:  Great video Steve! I searched high and low online. Amazon has the best price at $601 for the ULD 405. I think it was just under $500 a few months ago. Must be something special about the plastic they use on it...

ha...it's the special sensors inside, made from Unobtainium that makes it so expensive!

guess I shoulda bought up their inventory last year when they were $450!  Confused

thanks for the Kudos, Simon!

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

I clenched my teeth and ordered it. You're right. Should have bought a few at $450 last year. The returns would be much better over my lucid stock.   Tongue

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312