You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Howdy, tired of taking a beating from shops that say “they can fix it” only to get it back with more wrong then when I dropped it off. I love working on the coach but having trouble finding anyone that can help with the older ones. Looking through here I might be headed in the right direction. Right now I’m having issues with my air bags and cruise control. The air bags will not stay aired up when the engine is off and no luck finding anyone that knows anything about the cruise control.     

Binford, 1984 Newell

What brand of cruise control has been installed on your coach?

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Welcome Binford !
Richard has videos , text , etc with a wealth of knowledge on the air systems of Newell coaches .
Get a spray bottle with soapy water ( or the stuff kids use for bubbles ) and spray around the air bags . Being VERY careful under the coach , if it drops down...
There are valves/solenoids,  fittings , hoses , etc .
Our 86 has valves in the passenger side engine compartment,  your coach may have them there as well.  Valves also in driver's side front compartment with the electric air compressor . Spray everything you can see to chase leaks . Electronic leak detectors also available. 
Do your dash air pressure gauges drop quickly when engine is shut down ? 
You probably have an air line with a quick coupler in the engine compartment that can be connected to an external compressor,  valuable for testing . A ball valve with two male coupler fittings needed for connection to your shop air line .

Cruise control is Bendix , never able to get it working. 
Some of the Gurus have added modern cruise controls by fabricating brackets , etc .
My cruise is also in passenger side engine compartment bulkhead .
I presume you have Detroit 6 or 8v92 engine ? 
Bus Grease Monkey ( find on You Tube ) is a good source of information on the Detroit two strokes , has many videos . His shop is in the region of Nashville .
Good luck ,
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Welcome Aboard Binford.
Watching the videos about Newell Air Systems is well worth the time - 2 or 3 times for me.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

(01-22-2024, 08:56 PM)Binford Wrote:  Howdy, tired of taking a beating from shops that say “they can fix it” only to get it back with more wrong then when I dropped it off. I love working on the coach but having trouble finding anyone that can help with the older ones. Looking through here I might be headed in the right direction. Right now I’m having issues with my air bags and cruise control. The air bags will not stay aired up when the engine is off and no luck finding anyone that knows anything about the cruise control. 

You’ve come to the right place. Give us some more information and the folks here can help. I know a bit about older bendix cruise systems, if that’s what it is may be able to help out. The air systems just take some time to investigate and figure out leaks etc. most truck shops cannot handle these rigs with complex air systems. I have fixed several Wanderlodges that came out of a truck shop and they could not find and fix the leaks.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

Thanks for responding. Let me do some checking and I’ll get back.

Binford, 1984 Newell

The original one was Bendix. When it stopped working a shop installed a Cruise King. It worked great until I blew the engine. After I had a rebuilt 8V92 installed they said they couldn’t get it to work. The mechanic that installed the Cruise King no longer worked for them. So they said that the control box had gotten damaged when the engine blew. I found a new Cruise King on the internet, they couldn’t make it work and gave up. New shop tried to install a cruise GC univ domestic, Global Cruise. No luck!

Binford, 1984 Newell

Are these the air valves you had mentioned?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Binford, 1984 Newell

(01-23-2024, 03:28 PM)Binford Wrote:  The original one was Bendix. When it stopped working a shop installed a Cruise King. It worked great until I blew the engine. After I had a rebuilt 8V92 installed they said they couldn’t get it to work. The mechanic that installed the Cruise King no longer worked for them. So they said that the control box had gotten damaged when the engine blew. I found a new Cruise King on the internet, they couldn’t make it work and gave up. New shop tried to install a cruise GC univ domestic, Global Cruise. No luck!

Sounds to me like they do not want to mess with it, but who knows. It should not be that hard to get it working. Is this a mechanical 8v92, if its original to 84 I would say most likely its a mechanical engine. Not sure how blowing the engine would damage the cruise control, unless somehow heat got to the unit possibly. Again sounds like they are not interested in making this work. The cruise for a mechanical engine is a stand alone system for the most part, they sometime will have a speed sensor but that's about it. Not too much to go wrong other than the brain box and maybe the switches.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

When you say “mechanical” your saying it has nothing on that is electronic? No electronics. Also when I got it back this last time my speedometer isn’t working. Told me it broke.

Binford, 1984 Newell