You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

air ride height control valve in down position but airbags are aired up

air ride height control valve in down position but airbags are aired up

Coach #544

A few questions are in order to help you.

I am assuming HWH system from the coach serial number.

What were the circumstances that produced this?
Are you saying the coach is above normal travel height when in travel mode?
When you day down position, can you describe exactly what you mean? Is the horizontal arm pointing downward?
Is the coach high for both the front and the back?

Do you know what the six pack is? If so, put a metallic washer on either of the solenoids closest to the rear firewall when the key is on. Those solenoids should be magnetized.

Do you have a voltmeter?

Sorry for all the questions, but it's your first post, and we have NO idea your familiarity level with the coach or your hands on experience. We are trying to help, not hinder with the questions.

T

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thank you! Sorry I am new to all this. So the front is a little low, the rear is at 16 inches from ground to trim Newell said it should be 11 7/8 inches. Yes the arm of the leveling valve is in the down position not horizontal and yet the air bags are extremely inflated. 6 pack yes I am familiar and two solonoids are magnetized but not the ones at the firewall the ones furthest from the wall in the engine compartment. Recent new airbags. Newell this afternoon discussion thinks it may be that the lines were reversed on the ride height adjustment valve may have been reversed since both sides are doing the same.

Thank you for answering the questions.

Did this start when the air bags were replaced?
Did you or anyone else work on the six pack?

What you are describing is the RAISE solenoids for the rear are energized. That’s why I am asking if anyone touched the six pack, because the wiring could have been reversed. Or the HWH brain is corrupted.

The funny thing about this is that all four of the travel solenoids are powered from the same place, so if the front ones are working correctly, then the rear should be working correctly.

So try this, because from time to time the HWH brain will have a moment of flatulence. Press the Emergency off button, and then press the Travel button. I doubt this will change anything but it’s a quick trip.

Did Newell replace the height control valves? Do you know what brand was used.

You can safely test the theory of the reversed air lines in about five minutes. Slip your head and arms between the tag and drive tires, Don’t worry it’s safe right there, assuming your partner doesn’t put it in gear and run over you. Face toward the front of the coach, if you look or feel on the top of the drive axle you will find the attachment point for the vertical arm of the height control valve. Put some lube on the end of the boss and slip the bottom of the arm off the boss. Push it up all the way, if the coach starts to lower, then the air lines are reversed.

I am a stickler for cribbing (supporting the coach) when going under. But if you do not venture past the drive tires, the coach cannot sit down on you at the location described unless all three tires blow out simultaneously.

Let me know if you can’t find this boss and I will post a pic. I would do it right now, but it’s wee bit dark here right now.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

It is a rain day here today so venturing out to check is not too likely. In response, Newell did not do the work…yes the issue began after airbag replacement. Good year airbags and supposedly ordered from Newell but then the tag axle needed replacement also and I think they got them elsewhere. I wonder if they put the air lines in reverse on the bags themselves? I have hydraulic jacks will lower them and crib the tires tomorrow or when the weather is best to work outside. Thank you so very much for taking the time to respond, if I may ever be of service to you, please do not hesitate to contact me! Peace be with youI I will update asap on what I find!

Ok that helps.

I have seen well intended mechanics who did not understand how Newell plumbed the air system do all kinds of wrong in trying to get it to work.

If you are not in a hurry, we can step through this a diagnostic at a time.

If it’s raining and you’re stuck inside, there are a few videos out there to help you understand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rnRcyW96m4 That will get you started.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad