You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator won't stay running

So last fall when we had the RV for a short time the generator would always start on the second try. Just tried it today and it would start but then die as soon as I took my finger off of the start button. Tried a number of times. If I held my finger on the switch just a tad longer it would run but again as soon as I took my finger off of the switch it would die. Now another thing is that I have a switch for a fuel pump on my dash. It is off right now and I honestly don't recall what position it was in last year. Not sure if it is for the generator or not but I turned it on and could hear a pump but the generator would still not continue to run after starting.

Ok guys got any suggestions for me and can you tell me what the fuel pump switch is for?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Not sure about your generator, but I have had diesel engines in the past that have a run solonoid. It has to be engaged before the engine will run, and is bypassed when the starter is engaged. Just an idea.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

OK Todd I'll take a stab at it. I had the same problem on my '78. After several hours at a KOhler service center we found a fuse holder in the control box on the generator. It is not visible from looking into the generator compartment because it is on the back-side of the front wall of the control box. It contained a round glass 12V fuse. The fuse holder was corroded thus not allowing current through.
I have seen an electric inline fuel pump for the main engine. It is there to assist in priming the engine when restarting after you have run out of fuel.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Well since I have no time and really no experience to chase this down I took it into the mechanics that rebuilt the engine last year. I have not talked to the service guy directly but they said the battery had low voltage. So they charged and refilled and she ran. However they had the door open where the blower is (which is new as of last fall) and it overheated and shut off. The gen then shut off because it over heated. They let things cool down a while and started again with the bay door to the blower off and everything ran fine for 2 hours. Going to run it again tomorrow and if no shutting down issues then I guess it's fixed.

So the issue sounds like a low voltage battery I guess that could not sustain it running???? Confused.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Todd whats the M/M of your genny? Do you have the manual?

Jimmy

If the voltage was too low to hold the fuel shutoff solenoid open the engine will do exactly as you describe. Before I replaced the coach batteries on mine, it would do the exact same thing when they were low. If I cranked the big engine, the batteries would merge, and the genny would stay running. If I slid the genny out and held the solenoid open by hand I could crank it like that too. Bottom line is I think your mechanic was pretty savvy.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Jimmy it's kohler 12.5CCO-RV. looking at the manual right now.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Looks like your Mech got it. One of the first trouble shooting checks is a (Flat) battery. Interesting term.

Jimmy

Great news Todd....glad it was something simple! What is your battery configuration? Are you running a couple of 8D batteries for the house, or multiple deep cycle batteries?

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

I agree with the others in that the Battery and the Cables should be checked first. Good Mechanics, keep 'em!

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch