You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Losing air to toilets

Was losing air for past week to both toilets and can’t find a leak. Compressors kick on about every 1 minute . Tonight I can’t build enough air to flush either toilet. Do you see air lines breaking inside coach that’s not at a fitting ?
Coach # 534

My first guess is to look for a blown slide seal

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I own coach 531. I posted the 12V air system for your coach. It will allow you to figure out if your toilets really are leaking in just a few minutes. Just because your toilets won't flush DOES NOT mean that the toilets are leaking--it just means that you do not have enough air pressure to flush.

https://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=2674

To start verifying where the leaks are, start by shutting off your 120V air compressor. Now drain the air out of your air system. Once your supply gauge is zero, turn on your 12V air compressor. Let it air up and shut off. Now how often does it come on? If it is coming on often, you now know that you have an air leak at either one of your toilets, one of your air seals, or one of your pocket doors. Now your slide seals have shut off valves and regulators that allow you to see if the shut off valves or slide seals are leaking.

My advice is to not assume where your air leak is, but use an organized approach to finding your leaks. With what you have posted, you only know that you have air leaks--it could be as far away from the toilets as the dashboard. These tools will help you.

https://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=2705

FYI: In 15 years I have never found a broken airline, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Or something could rub a hole in an air line.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

That is a big leak for compressors to kick on every minute you should be able to hear that.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Steve, your succinct response to an air leak question along with the links is something I am going to cut and paste into a place I can remember easily.

It should be a sticky in the air section titled, If you have an air leak start here.

You are the master !!!!

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Richard

You are way too kind my friend!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Woooooooooo...........do your best Ric Flair to get the sound. I never saw anything quite like this.

Outside of the forum a fellow guru directed Bob to contact me for additional and urgent assistance. The situation was the Bob was scheduled for knee replacement surgery today, the potties were inop because of no air pressure, and he lives fulltime in the coach. Yeah, that's a pretty challenging scenario. Getting in and out of the coach to travel to the outhouse was not going to work for week or two.

So Russ White and I took a little road trip up to Pensacola to see what we could contribute. Jack Houpe drove over from Gulf Shores to add his assistance.

Bob has owned the coach less than a year so he is still on the front part of the curve. The conversations and diagnostics over the phone just DID NOT make any sense to me in terms of what could be going on. In Hail Mary, we had suggested Bob buy a HF compressor and plumb it to one of the potties. He did and that got indoor plumbing restored although somewhat noisily.

Sure enough on arrival, we confirmed that the coach would not hold air for more than about a minute. Yeah, that's not a typo.

Here is what we found. First huge problem was the air line that feeds the ping tank in the passenger rear wheel well was completely severed. It looked to me like the zip ties that would secure it, had failed and the line got into the tire. Bob had a roadside service remove the tires so we could gain access. Ok one BIG leak addressed. Second leak, could now be heard where the air lines enter the wet tank. Of course it had to be the fitting on the top of the tank, hard up against the ceiling. It was obvious that the wet tank had been replaced earlier, and my guess is the fitting simply did not get tightened. I got a complete turn out of it.

We are still using an external comp to air up the coach since both the 120V and 12V compressors, although NEW, were not supplying air. Now we hear air. lots of air coming from the center of the bay that is Aquahot on one side and water bay on the other. Oh joy. A big air leak we can't reach. We discovered that are many airlines that run the center pipe chase down the basement ceiling. And they are all zip tied to the Newell standard.

The technique we used to locate the leaking air line, was to use smooth jawed pliers to pinch off, one at a time, the exiting air lines from the 12V air manifold until the hissing stopped. Once the offending air line was located, one person in the AH bay tugging and one in the storage bay looking the air line's exit of the no access area was located. It turned out to be the air line feeding the forward slide room air seal. That was a bit of luck in that there are many air lines in that are branching off to feed pocket doors and the waste tank dump valves. The old air line was not coming out because of the aforementioned zip ties, so we simply ran a new line. Bingo, we now have less than hurricane force leaks when we air up the system using an external compressor. It appeared the line had simply chafed against a sharp edge over time.

But no air from either on board compressor. Turns out that in an easy to make misunderstanding the gentlemen who replaced the 12v pump did not understand or realize Newells unique air system logic and the very specific way the system has to be plumbed at the 12v pump. No shade at all on the gentlemen who helped. I owned a Newell for a LONG time before I truly understood the logic of what happens at that air line junction. Regulator, check valve, pressure switch, and inlet air positions are all pretty specific for the 12v side to function as designed. Turns out the new JunAir ($$$$$$) had a little bit of plumbing to clean up and also needed a mechanism and checkvalve to relieve pressure upon restart.

Quote of the boys road trip adventure from Bob's partner Paula. When she tested all the potties and doors she came outside and offered a thank you hug. Those of you who have seen me in the work coveralls covered in grease and dirt know how grimey that can be. I declined saying, Honey I am nasty. Paula's reply " Not as nasty as an unflushed toilet". That was a good laugh.

Good luck to Bob today on his new knee. Thanks to Russ and Jack for helping. Bob gave me permission to post so that others may learn from the air leak hunt.

The other reason to post this yarn, is to acknowledge the steep learning curve that owning a Newell can be. It's good to acknowledge the resource that the guru crowd can be.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Thanks for the REST OF THE STORY, I was running many different scenario's in my head while trying to go to sleep that night. Great to see you again and a honor to me Russ White.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Jack and his bizarre looking leak detector were a big help. While Richard and I were happily pulling out the abraded ( smoking gun ) line to the front slide seal, Jack had found the front aux air tank to be rotted through and got busy bypassing it. Much laughter later when Richard decided to remove it and could barely hold it! Yup, just about full of rusty water. Some very clever mods were made to the aux compressor to unload it after cutoff so it restarts without shaking itself to death. It's been all I can do to not order the Harbor Freight air compressor used as a temporary potty fix. Talk about quiet! https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools-...64596.html
Here's hoping Bob's knee replacement went splendidly and he is recovering somewhere other than the coach with all those steps to get in!

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Wow, you guys are true heroes. I love the compassion you guys have towards helping others. I am still learning my air system.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312