You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newell coach license.

Hi everyone. I'm getting ready to purchase my first Newell coach, a 1983 LOA 40'. Before I complete the purchase, does anyone know what licenses, if any, are required to operate this in the state of Illinois? I'm getting a lot of conflicting information so I'm just trying to get a clear answer before I make the purchase. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I can't specify anything specific to Illinois, but I know I can drive my Idaho coach through Illinois with just my Idaho car driver's license.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

RVs are exempt from needing a class a license or a cdl air brake endorsement.

Adam & Dana Mize
coach # 480
1998 45'  2 slides
Detroit Diesel  series 60   turned up to 745 hp  

[quote pid="63606" dateline="1708543156"]
FittedBuckleHi everyone. I'm getting ready to purchase my first Newell coach, a 1983 LOA 40'. Before I complete the purchase, does anyone know what licenses, if any, are required to operate this in the state of Illinois? I'm getting a lot of conflicting information so I'm just trying to get a clear answer before I make the purchase. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

Took a couple clicks and found what you need in the CDL requirements section:
  • Recreational Vehicle Operators — Illinois waives CDL requirements for drivers of a recreational vehicle operated as family/personal conveyance for recreational purposes. This includes motor homes, travel trailers and other recreational vehicles. Recreational vehicles being operated in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise are NOT exempt (Ex: Teams with sponsorships, Individuals or groups participating in shows/festivals where business is being conducted and other similar activities).

Here's the webpage where I got the above information: https://www.ilsos.gov/departments/driver...ml#require

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

(03-13-2024, 06:33 AM)rvguy Wrote:  All rvs are exempt from needing any special licenses to operate. Including airbrake (cdl)
RV Driver Licensing by State

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

Thanks Jim. That is very informative. I always assumed RV's were exempt. I have had my CDL for over 30 years. I have to get a medical certificate put on file every 2 years.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Much of the info posted in the link Jim referenced is related to “commercial” vehicles. Therein lies the rub- what’s considered commercial?

The link refers us (at least the Arkansas portion does) to a very poorly worded section of Arkansas law describing commercial vehicles.

The link referenced wording is horrendous and easily misinterpreted.

They should have simply said “if you’re hauling paying passengers or any quantity of paid freight- you’re commercial”.

Don’t accept only one website’s statements, confirm or disprove from several other sites. This would be the case for any state, imho.

06 M450LXi 3 slide

In NY State a company I worked for in the Driver Simulation and Training area had an RV set up for mobile demonstrations of their products. Since that RV was registered and licensed to the company the driver had to have a CDL and follow all rules for commercial vehicles. That same RV if I owned it would not have needed a CDL to operate it and the accompanying rules.
I suspected and haven't found things i've read have pretty much supported that requirement for a CDL or CDL not required.
Florida changed their license requirements for pulling trailers with a dually back around 2003 or so. A horse owner let me in on the rules because she had a dually to pull her horse trailer. The rules had to do with the width of the duals. I got the endorsement because I had a trip that started only a few days before the rules changed.
I make sure I'm completely legal here in FL where I'm licensed and I do as much research as I can in 'funky' states I intend to travel in. California being the one I'm most concerned about obscure laws. Illinois is the next on this list.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile