You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

rebuilding front air system

I took it upon myself to remove and replace the tank top check valves. On my coach the access on top of the tanks was very limited. I had to remove the tanks and to do that, the tank bolt straps were inaccessible due to the way the tanks mounts were welded to the chassis. They had welded the straps too high which the bolts were blocked by the chassis member (Ping tanks). I had to cut the straps, pull the two front tanks, cut off the tank mounts from the chassis and reweld the straps together. I sent the whole kit to powder coat last week. Tanks appeared to be solid with some loose rust debris. I asked the shop to sand blast what they could. I have a tank slosh to put in when I get them back. All fittings were removed and will all be replaced. I am considering relocating one tank to make more room for under frame a/c unit where the old dash condenser once resided. I removed all R12 non working dash air components and hoses since they were useless and dead weight. While the tanks were out, I cleaned the underside and coated the steel with POR-15. It turned out fantastic. This is where I am at so far. Waiting on more DOT compression fittings to come in from FleetPride. I ultimately found a 16k BTU undermount 48v a/c system that will reside in the new clean space. I can't quite afford the $4100 expenditure just yet so it will have to wait. While I was in there, I removed and replaced the governor for good measure. The original one had rust expelling from the exhaust port. The fittings had a good amount of corrosion when I pulled them off. FYI, I use all genuine Bendix parts as fitted originally. I am sure the clones are fine but that is just how I do things.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Nice work Simon, your pit would be a dream come true for me but in AR it would be full of water and snakes.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

You need to have a water pit with pump in the pit. Mine will pump out any water well before it reaches the grate of the well. We do not get snakes but bunnies instead. I rescue one or two a year along with a stray young bird if I leave the guards off while working on the bus.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I would love to have a pit also, but gators might be an issue here

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

We do have coyotes so before I even back myself into the pit, I always check first. Not sure what I would do if a coyote was in there. Likewise for a gator.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312