You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Jake brake Hi/Low something fishy
Photo 

OKAYYY,  So I have been without the high side for sometime and I really didnt want to fool around with it but there is no way I can descend any serious grades without it, not willing to risk our lives. So I talked to Newell and they said maybe its the switch that is bad. I figured almost twenty years old perhaps.  I ask the service guys if they could send a diagram to be sure no previous owners had moved anything around.

I bought a switch, installed per the diagram this morning, just took her for a test drive, NOTHING except LOW. Now the funny thing is in order to get low the switch has to be on HIGH??  If you toggle back to low its totally off.      

Anyone experience this issue?  I'm thinking there  has got to be an issue in how the switch is wired. I have attached a diagram received from Newell

Still jakebrakeless in Cali Huh Huh

home: Southern California
05 #746 quad slide 2000i, 
Steerable tag 
Detroit Diesel series 60 515 hp
Allison trans

Toad 2013 Avalanche Black Diamond edition 4 wheel drive

I had a bad switch as well. Had no Jake for half a long trip. Newell sent me a diagram as well. It also had the wrong colors.

Here is my wiring:

Hope it helps!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

You should be able to get the correct information off the internet. Your signature doesn't identify what engine you have and that may make a difference.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Thanks Rick! Mine looks similar to your wiring, new switch but no high.

Steerable tag 
Allison trans

(02-27-2024, 06:29 PM)MrE Wrote:  You should be able to get the correct information off the internet. Your signature doesn't identify what engine you have and that may make a difference.

MrE,  I have a detroit, internet info may be ok but my only concern is whether Newell has a special way of wiring.  

Steerable tag 
Allison trans

Sorry for asking stupid questions, but I don’t want to make any assumptions. The switch you used is a three position or two position switch?

You had high side for a period of time and it went away? Is that correct? If so, it rules out miswiring UNLESS the wiring was altered at the time the high side went awol.

Just for grins, switch the high and low outputs on the switch and see if you get high jakes. That would tell you if you have a switch issue or an issue further downstream.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(02-28-2024, 05:07 AM)Richard Wrote:  Sorry for asking stupid questions, but I don’t want to make any assumptions. The switch you used is a three position or two position switch?

You had high side for a period of time and it went away? Is that correct? If so, it rules out miswiring UNLESS the wiring was altered at the time the high side went awol.

Just for grins, switch the high and low outputs on the switch and see if you get high jakes. That would tell you if you have a switch issue or an issue further downstream.

Richard, 

I do not believe I've ever had high. It is to my knowledge a two position switch down is low up.is high. I too thought of moving the wires but need to confirm how to do it so I don't fry something. If that would work I'd be happy. Ill.be calling newell shortly.

Steerable tag 
Allison trans

[attachment=13366 Wrote:rundlc pid='63705' dateline='1709132806']
(02-28-2024, 05:07 AM)Richard Wrote:  Sorry for asking stupid questions, but I don’t want to make any assumptions. The switch you used is a three position or two position switch?

Richard, 

I do not believe I've ever had high. It is to my knowledge a two position switch down is low up.is high. I too thought of moving the wires but need to confirm how to do it so I don't fry something. If that would work I'd be happy. Ill.be calling newell shortly.

The attached drawing is what I think may need to be done, I'm not at all an electrician so I sent this to Newell to see if I was on the right track

Attached Files
.pdf JAKESW-DIAGRAM-Model.pdf Size: 82.33 KB  Downloads: 27

Steerable tag 
Allison trans

I don't know the answer off the top of my head, but the question to ask is does the ECM require just a ground to activate all 6 cylinders, OR does it require a ground to activate both the 4 and 6 cylinder circuits in order to have all six. '

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

For those of you following, I snaked a endo camera up into my console today to get a pic of the bottom of the hi/lo jake switch.

The wiring matches exactly what Carthan has drawn as explained by Newell.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad