You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Used Newell Values

I did an analysis of coach prices when I bought mine. Completely unscientific, but here is what I did and what I saw.

I went out and gathered all the information that I could find. (Year, number of slides, asking price, sold price (from ebay when I could get it). I then adjusted the value numbers for the number of slides and mileage. I forgot the exact formula but I normalized coaches to four slide prices. (Subtracted $$$ for coaches that did not have four slides).

In the end, the adjustments did not affect the answer.

What I saw was that new coaches lose approximately 10% of their value each year for the first 10 years. After that the values dropped and then flattened out and remained kinda constant for another 10 years. Coaches that are more than 20 years old seemed to drop again.

I believe that the shape of the curve has a lot to do with obtaining financing. I gathered that it was more difficult to finance a coach that is older than 10 years old. (I might be wrong about that). It seemed to me that there was not a lot of price difference between say a 1995 and a 2000. (I did not adjust in anyway for body style because each person has their own preference).

So with that said, I have seen a lot of variation since I bought my coach. It may be me, but it seems that the price of used coaches (all years) have declined another 10-20% in the past few years. That may be because the economy but my guess is that more folks are going for the huge pickup truck / monster trailer type of RV. In the RV parks that I frequent, there are more and more of these type rigs it seems.

On the other hand, the prices for new Newells have continued to rise....and that has not seemed to slow the sales...so I guess there are some folks willing to pay to have the newest / nicest.

Anyway those are my thoughts.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Messages In This Thread
Used Newell Values - by encantotom - 05-12-2013, 01:48 PM
RE: Used Newell Values - by bikestuff - 05-12-2013, 02:09 PM
RE: Used Newell Values - by qcj - 05-13-2013, 08:58 AM
RE: Used Newell Values - by rheavn - 05-13-2013, 02:11 PM
RE: Used Newell Values - by kb0zke - 05-16-2013, 07:10 PM