You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tail Lights style changes

Can anyone tell me if the Tail Light layout on different coaches is any indication of the vintage of the coach ?

I thought I had figured out that in 2008 they switched from plain round lights in the rear cap to round lights in a big giant bezel like thing that stretched from one side of the coach to the other.  But then I just saw a 2013 advertised with no bezel, just the round lights in the cap.

I think that in 14 they went to the tall (non-round) lights that they are using currently.

Makes me wonder if this big bezel thing was maybe an option ?  I have seen several Newel option ordering sheets and have never noticed this on there.

Can anyone shed any light on this ?

Thanks,  Jeff

2020P tail lights had red lens wrapped around the rear with NEWELL logo mounted on it.  I had pieces of that red lens falling off so I removed it all and installed the new NEWELL logo above it.             

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

They started with the new style chrome taillights in 07. That style changed just a little in mid 08. They changed slightly again in 11 until 14 when they changed to the 2020p. In mid 17 when the p50 came out they changed to what are on the current coaches. I’ve seen 2-3 before that were 2020p models ordered with the p2000i front and rear end.

Newell used the same basic taillight configuration from the introduction of the Series 60 engine in the a few 1964 models (#355 was first with the horizontal layout rather than the vertical layout used with the 8V92's model 2000's). This taillight arrangement was used unit the introduction of the 2000i model during the 2005 model year with #722 when they added the Porsche styled rear end and introduced the 3 round taillights. With 753, the first 2006, the front end design changed to a Porsche design but the taillights remained the three separate round taillights. That was the P2000i model. In 2007 #804 still had the 3 round taillight but by #808, still a 2007 P2000i, they had changed to the 3 taillights inside the large chrome piece that had the Newell name on it and went from one side of the rear to the other. I don't have any rear photos of 805-807. That large chrome full width tall panel continued on until 2008 about #1233 when the chrome plate was reduce in height eliminating the Newell name from the chrome plate and eliminating the lines that separated each light. As afrench pointed out, in 2011 by coach #1411, the chrome plate had grown taller and there were only 2 lights in the bezel on each side with the backup lights lower down on bumper. The 2020p in 2013 had the waterfall taillights that wrapped around the side of the coach by #1466. The p50 came out during the 2017 model year starting with coach #1600 (Newell skipped 1566-1599 while certification tests were being completed). Starting with the p50, the large vertical taillights were mounted lower on the rear of the coach with much less chrome and no styling connection between the two side.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thanks for the explanations guys. I do appreciate it.

So, take a look at this Coach advertised on RVTrader as a 2011. It looks like it has the 2007 era......

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2011-Ne...5030808113

Thanks,

Jeff

Sometimes in our haste we forget the motto that "No two Newells are exactly the same." There are many examples where a customer ordering a Newell specified special options including in the case of #1415, a 2011, that you referenced. The original build sheet listed under Special Options: "2009 style" front cap and roof transition. Old style headlights & trim. "Taillights only "rear cap. NO CHROME". That coach also had 138 items that were changed from the original order during construction and included as Change Orders.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thanks for the reply Michael. Just curious, how are you able to see the build sheet on that coach ?

Thanks,

Jeff

When I run across build sheets, I keep a digital copy. Been doing this for almost 20 years. Don't find them very often but I find them to be a valuable resource. I found that one back in 2014.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thanks Michael.....

Jeff

I own #1466, which is a 2013 model year and it has the 2020p taillights.    

Brad & Jen Moutrie
2013 Newell #1466