You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Power Steering/Hydraulic System

So I have been getting a louder whine to my power steering/hydraulic pump. I know looking at the pump itself it is definitely leaking. After looking around at the pump I found the tag on the bottom of the pump and its a Vickers V20 pump. I will post some photos of the label. 
So I have been looking at this system and it seems that the filter is old, and it still says Vickers on it. 

The filter is Vickers #V0211B1R03, which I crossed over to and have ordered a Wix 51756. 

My plan is to pull the pump off, take it apart, inspect it and if the hard parts are in good shape I will put new seals in it. I will attach the Vickers pump info sheet I found when trying to identify the pump and its seals. 

The seal kit I ordered is for the V20 or V20F pump, it is part #CWH V20SK. 

So I have done quite a bit of searching and I have found that most are using synthetic ATF for the power steering/hydraulic system. r 

My question is, does anyone have an approximate capacity of the system? 
I would like to go ahead and get some fluid here to change the fluid. It seems this system has been neglected. 

I think I am also going to follow Richards lead and change the overhung unit to grease at some point, I can see its weeping some.

Attached Files
.pdf Vickers Eaton V20 pll_1572.pdf Size: 227.93 KB  Downloads: 15

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

Hmmm, the tank holds just over two gallons. When you remove the filter, everything in the tank will dump so have something to catch it in. I have changed the filter a couple of times, and I don’t get the impression that much of the fluid in the lines or components drain, based upon the observation that when I refill the tank, it goes down about a quart or two when the engine is cranked.

I just changed that filter last week. I used the same Wix filter. Be aware it has a square seal ring, and the seal ring fits into the housing, not on top of the filter.

It is my LEAST favorite maintenance item cause I have not found a way to avoid a mess, and I hate ATF showers.

This is my OPINION, I don’t know that synthetic ATF is worth the extra $$$$ for this application, but everyone has their opinion.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(03-04-2024, 05:30 PM)Richard Wrote:  Hmmm, the tank holds just over two gallons. When you remove the filter, everything in the tank will dump so have something to catch it in. I have changed the filter a couple of times, and I don’t get the impression that much of the fluid in the lines or components drain, based upon the observation that when I refill the tank, it goes down about a quart or two when the engine is cranked.

I just changed that filter last week. I used the same Wix filter. Be aware it has a square seal ring, and the seal ring fits into the housing, not on top of the filter.

It is my LEAST favorite maintenance item cause I have not found a way to avoid a mess, and I hate ATF showers.

This is my OPINION, I don’t know that synthetic ATF is worth the extra $$$$ for this application, but everyone has their opinion.

Thanks Richard. 
Wonder about adding a shut off valve in the line for the filter, just have to make sure it’s pressure rated I suppose.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490

Yeah that would help in the future.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Another observation that I meant to mention was why Newell used ATF for the power steering/hydraulic system. To me it would have been better with engine oil since it has the ability to leak into the engine via the gear case. If the shaft seal blows out then the ATF goes into the engine oil, no bueno. I know that there was a similar issue with Wanderlodges except it was the other way around. They have the pump mounted on the transmission and they were using engine oil, so some members have changed those systems over to ATF so that the engine oil will not contaminate the transmission if the seal failed. 
Anyone else’s thoughts on this?

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1998 Newell 2000 #490