You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air tank drains

I refurbished the underside of the front area of the coach. Chassis is painted in Por-15, air tanks have been removed, cleaned and powder coated, new fittings and check valves. I bought these pull cord drains but for them to be really effective, the plunger needs to be pushed not pulled. Several people have given me the idea to run an extension tube with a drain valve to an accessible area. Has anyone done this here and have pics? Should I run normal 1/4" or 3/8" tubing?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

1/4 works just fine. Use a 1/4 turn valve on the end, and run the exit to a location where you will not spray yourself when you drain the tanks. Use DOT tubing and fittings of course.

Don’t forget the wet tank in the back. That is the one you will get the most drainage from.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Richard. The rear wet tank has an auto drain. Not sure how effective it is. I can run the two front air drains through the side bulkhead and into the last remaining Dometic split compartment. Newell had made two holes there already and visible in the pic. I’ll wrap the tubing in fuel line for chafing protection.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Agree With Richard on tubing.

I had another brand that had a momentary switch at the dash you could hit to activate a valve, like the HWH style valve. Made it real convenient and you could do it from your seat. There was also manual valves at the very end of the line after the HWH style valve. That way if you ever had a problem with leaking air or the valve failed you could just close the ball valve and all was good.

Johnny
Former   1987 Newell series 60
Former 1986 Newell -92-
Wichita,Ks

Here is what I did.

It is what Richard suggests...

One picture is behind the front bumper on passenger side.

The other is passenger side engine bay ceiling.

I also added on on the tank in front of the drive tire on passenger side.

I think all my tanks are drained, I only seem to get water out of about 1/2 of them.

First class work as always Glen!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I have replaced those cable valves on another coach which were a major air leak with Richards suggestion nice easy clean way to drain the tanks of water.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

As Richard suggested and as stated be mindful to keep your nice clean shoes away from the drain line when you drain the tank.

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is

Here's the final draft on those two air tank drains. I have other issues with the coach not airing up past 30psi. Governor leaks air from the exhaust port. Swapped it out to get the same result. Air dryer bad? 2 years old.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Simon you are amazing with paint!

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas