You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

48v A/C system

My new fangled a/c system arrived yesterday. This is a complete kit sans refrigerant of which I bought a small jug of R134a. We have some rain storms heading in so I will try to get some of this installed or at least figured out where they "should" go.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

A freind of mine installed something very similar to this in his bus conversion. He says it works great. He runs it off his battery system.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

I think what you're doing is awesome. You'll have exactly the coach that's right for you. If anyone not familiar with Newells and their quality construction that tells you could have bought a much newer SOB for less money than you're spending, have them read this thread frame rail vs monocoque.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

For the most part the only person who has been negative over my coach is my father in law. My spending for recreation is just not understandable to him. He is of a different generation and in his mid 80s. My wife however is very supportive of what I do to this coach since she realizes a new one or newer model would be out of the question for our budget. Today I got as far with the outdoor installation sans refrigerant lines. It is supposed to rain tomorrow which may hamper any progress. I need to mount the evaporator and plug in those circuits along with running the thermostat wiring to the upper driver cabinet front.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

For what it's worth I love what you're doing! I'm looking forward to getting my Newell back home so I can install a smart steering wheel, Android radio, and engine monitoring system.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

To quote my bride when a neighbor commented on how much time and probably money I directed to the coach, “ It’s cheaper than a mistress, and I know where he is”

Simon, I look forward to the time in your life where you really start to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thank you for the support guys!

Our only time for use is after October 15th as Marie is a CPA. She is buried behind three monitors for 7 months. For the remaining time, I keep busy with my backyard mistress by constant tinkering. I enjoy working on it as much as taking trips. It's just the way I am wired. Of course when we retire in 7-10 years (healthy life and God permitting) we may have the time needed to do more travel.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

(03-31-2024, 08:26 AM)BusNit Wrote:  Thank you for the support guys!

Our only time for use is after October 15th as Marie is a CPA. She is buried behind three monitors for 7 months. For the remaining time, I keep busy with my backyard mistress by constant tinkering. I enjoy working on it as much as taking trips. It's just the way I am wired. Of course when we retire in 7-10 years (healthy life and God permitting) we may have the time needed to do more travel.

great plan!

I thoroughly enjoy your projects.

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.  

I got outside a little bit today. We've had rain the last two days. I managed to make up and install the linesets. Evaporator is in and the condensate drain lines happen to line up in the wheel well of the driver side. Not shown but the thermostat is installed and all wiring is complete. Need one fuse which is arriving tomorrow.  Last but not least is to finish the duct work and pull a vacuum/charge the system and hope it works good!

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

Ductwork is done. I have two adjustable vents behind the driver and two adjustable vents under the sofa. My upholstery shop took care of removing the vinyl, drilling the holes, recovering and installing the vents for me. It was a one day turn around and a mile from the house. I added a stainless piano hinge to allow access to the evaporator and blower.  I started vacuuming the system but it started raining and went inside. Vacuum is holding as of the last 2 hours.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312