You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air Force One and Toyota Land Cruiser Install

Connections and installation of the Air Force One from Demco manufacturing

I bought the Demco Air Force One in March 2024 to install on our coach and run the brake system on our 2006 Lexus LX470 (Toyota Land Cruiser).
There is an air tank that mounts to the coach that will have to be plumbed into the coach air brake system and will activate the AF1 when the brake pedal is pushed down in the coach.  
The AF1 consists of a main operating unit/module that is installed in the engine bay, an air cylinder (valve/plunger) that mounts to the physical brake in the vehicle, a hydro boost kit, quick connect kit for the toad and a breakaway system.  
There is also an alert system for when the brakes are applied in the toad or in case of a breakaway.  This can be wired up to the driver area or used wirelessly (with the correct equipment) and plugged in to the cigarette lighter in the driver compartment (along with all the other stuff you have plugged into that socket!) - I suppose it can be hard-wired into the 12-volt electrical system also. 

Connections and installation of the Air Force One from Demco manufacturing
I bought the Demco Air Force One in March 2024 to install on our coach and run the brake system on our 2006 Lexus LX470 (Toyota Land Cruiser).
There is an air tank that mounts to the coach that will have to be plumbed into the coach air brake system and will activate the AF1 when the brake pedal is pushed down in the coach.  
The AF1 consists of a main operating unit/module that is installed in the engine bay, an air cylinder (valve/plunger) that mounts to the physical brake in the vehicle, a hydro boost kit, quick connect kit for the toad and a breakaway system.  
There is also an alert system for when the brakes are applied in the toad or in case of a breakaway.  This can be wired up to the driver area or used wirelessly (with the correct equipment) and plugged in to the cigarette lighter in the driver compartment (along with all the other stuff you have plugged into that socket!) - I suppose it can be hard-wired into the 12-volt electrical system also. 
I will (hopefully) show the installation of both the toad and coach here.
Questions for those who have installed the AF1 on the coach: 
- Where did you install the air tank assembly
- I read through the threads I could find and will use what was suggested (I think it was to add a T in-line to the brake system on the coach but will research and update this) - I think that was the best/easiest suggestion… 
I stole the following from one of Richard’s comments and will try this method to get air to the toad from the coach:
“For the service air line, come up to the air line that feeds the six pack. It usually has a gauge on it. Install a tee and pull your service air from there. …snipped… Of course test this out first.  As a short cut for the sanity test. Use a couple of quick connects to temporarily plumb the AF1. Put the metered quick connect in the existing M&G coupling. Put the Air supply line quick connect into that air line connection in the lower left rear of the passenger engine bay. That will allow you to test the function.”  Original Post
More to come soon 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

On mine they T’d into the tag axle brake on the left side. It goes to that air reservoir which is mounted near my rear facing radiator. From there it goes to quick coupling for the AFO toad hose

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

I installed the main control unit (brain) under the hood of the LX, ran the DOT tubing to the front and through the firewall to the cabin. Also attached the bracket for the AF1 connector that will tiling to the coach eventually. There are a ton of pieces to this install…

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Wicked toad. Bullet proof engine, off road capable, comfortable on the freeway, built like a tank. Nice !

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Richard! I love this thing and really bought it only to carry plywood in! I’m hoping it will tow well and not destroy the tranny…

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

Forest Olivier may be able to shed some insight.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I have a 2006 Lexus GX470, little brother to your LX470. Like Richard said very comfortable and quiet and awesome off-road. Easy to tow, put transaxle in neutral, leave key on to keep steering wheel unlocked and tow away.
Make sure your timing belt has been changed, usually needed every 80,000 miles, change water pump also when doing it. Other than that it's a great engine. My mechanic has a 4.7 in a Toyota truck and has well over half a million miles. Mine has the airbag delete and a 2" lift.
I added a toad charger to connect 12vdc from my coach to the GX470 to keep battery charged while towing. Having to leave the key on caused a drain on the toad battery. I also had an unchipped key cut to leave in the ignition while towing.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Thanks Forest! I love this truck but it’s on the third trip to the shop today after having the timing belt and water pump job done - now it clatters like a diesel and the transmission is over heating. That will make our TX trip not as pleasant since we will have to Uber everywhere or rent a car :-( at this point I may punt and just buy another Jeep that I can work on…

Karen & Adrian Abshire