You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

2 cycle oil question

I recently bought coach 165 and had the oil and coolant changed before I drove it from Las Vegas to my place 5 hours away. I gave the shop Delo 100 but they used 10w40. How urgent is it for me to change to the single weight?  I’d like to put another few trips on it before i  take it in to have the oil pan seal replaced and then put in the correct oil. I’d say probably 16 hours of driving. I have a mobile guy that can change the oil but cannot do the seal and don’t want to waste that expensive oil. The engine is in great shape with 70,000 miles. 
Thanks in advance,
Mark

2005 Newell coach #717 Detroit Diesel 60 Allison 6 speed "Green Machine"
1988 Newell 40ft tag #165 “Purple Haze”

(04-07-2024, 06:14 PM)neverbored Wrote:  I recently bought coach 165 and had the oil and coolant changed before I drove it from Las Vegas to my place 5 hours away. I gave the shop Delo 100 but they used 10w40. How urgent is it for me to change to the single weight?  I’d like to put another few trips on it before i  take it in to have the oil pan seal replaced and then put in the correct oil. I’d say probably 16 hours of driving. I have a mobile guy that can change the oil but cannot do the seal and don’t want to waste that expensive oil. The engine is in great shape with 70,000 miles. 
Thanks in advance,
Mark

What engine does your coach have?

This advice below is based on your coach having a Detroit 92 series engine, if its not a Detroit or not a 92 series then things change. 

Me personally, I would change the oil now. Your gambling with a couple hundred dollars of oil versus thousands of dollars in potential engine damage. Damage to a bearing or excessive bearing wear is why Detroit recommends the 40wt oil in most applications, 30wt in very cold climates. CF-2 rated oil is what you are looking for. Some say you can run 15-40 in them but I am not one of them nor will I ever be, Detroit says 40wt then use 40wt.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

Sorry, I have the Detroit 8v92 engine

DD does not recommend multi weight oils in 2 cycle engines. My understanding is that in order to achieve the multi weight characteristics the viscosity improvers are lineal rather than spherical as in a single weight VI. When the oil is cold the VI curl up which makes it more flowable. When the oil is hot the VI straighten and stiffen to provide higher viscosity. When in this state the VI is subject to shear which will lead to lower viscosity and inadequate lubrication. IMHO running a multi-weight oil for a short period would be ok. The problem is not knowing when the viscosity will be affected by shear. I am not familiar with synthetic oils. They may not break down the way natural oils do.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Thanks for the input. I found a local shop to do oil and seal this week.