You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Gone to the dark side!

Kathleen and I originally wanted a no side 40 footer and ended up with a 45 with slides, I know everybody says why would you want a no slide coach when you have a slide coach well because they are a luxury item that comes with cost, extra weight slide seals and problematic hydraulics on the early versions. If you can work on things like this and have plenty of time then it's no issue but if you take it to Newell or have it done somewhere else it's a lot of money. I found myself working continuously on our coach to get it where it is today for a year and a half both of us have slaved to get our coach where it is. So we went back to the original plan but I want a series 60 not that I have anything against the 8v92s because they're a great motors it's just now I'm liking the series 60 as ours is dry as a bone and has never gave us a lick a problem other than when the turbo went out January 2023. To get to the point we bought a 96 Prevost 40 ft non-slide coach with the series 60. Driving it it's like driving a sports car compared to a semi not that I'm bad-mouthing Newell but we've never experienced a 40-footer non-slide driving ability in comparison to a 45 with all the extra weight from the slides. No not leaving The forum and we have no plans on selling the Newell, Kathleen suggestion is to give it to our son.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas

Congrats !!!!

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

I have to say when I visit a friends coach with slides and enjoy the wide open home atmosphere I’m a bit envious however I’m happy with no slides. We only use our Newell approximately 3-4 weeks of the year so it works for us. It will be interesting if you can share the differences and similarities between the Newell and Prevost.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Thanks Rick!

The driving is really different it turns on a dime and you can lift the tag off the ground. Ride is rougher because of straight front axle. Way to many light switches and lights. We did 480 miles yesterday on Hwy 40 eastbound in AZ is the worst road in the lower 48 which is a record for me.

Gravette, Arkansas

Congratulations Jack! My criteria was no slides and having the 8v92. I love the engine and it doesn't leak. Like anything else, if there's a leak, it needs to be addressed. I am with you on maintenance and repairs with a slide coach. For Marie and I, ours is plenty big. Much like you, we do 3-4 weeks a year and it works best for us. When not traveling, it makes for an excellent hang out den to watch TV and have coffee. We love our bus. If I won the lottery, I'd have a new non slide coach built with no iPads or doohickey buttons. Simple is best in my book. (Nobody has to agree or read my book!)

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

HoosierDaddy I apologize for not answering your post after all you're the first person that responded to me when we were bidding on that 40-foot Newell in Michigan in September 2022. I can see now there are positive and negatives to everything in the world and most certainly coaches I'll have to learn a few more things about Prevost before I can say anymore but it does drive much easier and it has a lot more get up and go I guess because of the weight and the series 60.

Thank you Simon after driving this thing now for 3 days I realize weight and size has a lot to do with stress, I want everybody to know that I'm a newbie to these big rigs that's why I sort of wanted to start out smaller to begin with but it is what it is.

Gravette, Arkansas

That's awesome, congrats. Now you can drag race each other, as long as Kathleen gets the Prevost. 

I'm very curious to hear your experience as to the differences, pro and con, of the different chassis/builds and how differently each coach lives. And couple pix? Marathon builds a beautiful coach, especially the water bay, debatably as nice® as Newell

I'll be even more interested in how you design/install minisplits!?! Assuming you have working CruisAirs on board now as I see no rooftops.

Congrats again. A new journey begins!

P.S. I'm available for adoption!

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is

Sorry Arch, I asked to be adopted when I visited last year Wink I'll be just as happy in their garage as it is a palace

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

All three cruise airs work heat and cool but they are very noisy compared to the mini splits it also has over the road air which supplies cooling to the rear bedroom, galley, and salon, plus it has dash air which for the time being only operates when you hotwire the clutch on the compressor, over the road air I believe has a leak which does not work at the time. It's a coach nothing is perfect so I'll have something to work on.

Gravette, Arkansas

Congrats Jack! Hopefully you will bring it to one of the rallies where we can see it! We may be in a smaller RV by then also as we are planning on downsizing soon…

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40