You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Travel Mode and Slide Issue - Solved

Last weekend took the Newell out for the first time this season up here in Alaska. Went up to a place called Hatchers Pass overlooking the Matanuska Valley with no cell service. Everything functioned great till we attempted to depart Sunday afternoon. When we attempted to place the rig into travel mode to pull in the slides the hwh refused. After more then a few attempts I manually leveled the coach to ride height then switched the slide controls on to deflate the slides....nothing. Checked the fuses in front of the passenger seat, all looked good- opened up the hwh brain box under the driver's seat all fuses checked good. Went back into the coach and wiggled all the spade connections in front of the passenger seat, said a quick prayer then checked the air pressure switch on the parking brake under the dash - magically I noticed the orange light on the slide controls were illuminated. I quickly pulled in the slides and drove down the mountain into the safety of my shop. Once parked the issue persisted. I pulled the air pressure switch from the pack in the rear and the one in the front attempting to force the hwh into travel mode with no avail. I checked the boards in the brian box again looking for bad connections, corrosion or any other obvious issues- nothing. I jumped the air pressure switch for the parking brake again with no results. Then I remembered my old Country Coach once refused to go into travel mode requiring me to manually level it until I discovered a lose wire connection on the ignition. I checked the ignition wiring- sure enough i had a lose wire... reseated the wire and the coach immediately went into travel mode and the hwh slide controls came to life. Hopefully this will help someone in the future!

Jesse and Sara White
2001 Newell Coach #581
Wasilla Alaska

Glad it sorted itself for you to get home for proper repair. Same/similar happened to me last week. Where was the loose wire?

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is

Nice job of troubleshooting.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Where is the ignition wiring you mentioned? In the column? Or.....?

Thanks.

1998 Coach 484
1997 Suzuki Sidekick toad. 
Cheers.  

The lose wire was the wire going to the "top" spade connector on the backside of the ignition lock. My guess it's the power wire letting the HWH system know that the RV ignition is on allowing slide operation- super simple. Did have the limit switch fail for the living room slide last night, resulting in the floor not raising after the slide was deployed since the HWH couldn't detect the slide was out. Removed the basement ceiling and pieces of the switch fell on my head. Looks like a previous owner -Les Korcala, I'm directing this at you, JK! (Doubt he will ever see this)- Zip tied and hot glued the switch back together about 10 years ago. I was able to reassemble the switch and reinstalled it for full functionality with a large amount off electrical tape. I am going to reorder the switch but due to it's extensive repairs through the years all visible markings are long gone anyone have the part number? Other wise I plan on calling newell on Monday.

Thanks!

Jesse and Sara White
2001 Newell Coach #582
Wasilla Alaska