You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

96 Newell engine turning over great but not firing u

It has been turning over and running great all week and all of a sudden today it turns over great but does not fire up the only thing I noticed is that the engine check light does not come on when I turn the key on. 
Has 1/4 tank of fuel, good battery. 
Ive only done 2 things since yesterday when it was starting right up fine.
I changed the governor. 
And I  changed all the house batteries, but after doing so, none of my DC powered items work, which is another problem all it own. 
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. 
John

John, Sheri & Lily Kai Curwick
1996 Newell #406, 2015 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock, FJ Cruiser, Harley Fatboy. 35 CABO Express Tongue

John,

I have a 2009 Newell so I have no direct experience with your year. However, 2 large clues (to me) are that the DC systems don't work and there us no check engine light upon power up. I would guess that the ecm has no power.

Re-check all of your battery connections. Make sure that no "little wire" fell down behind the battery. Make sure they're all tight and any large fuses connected to them have not blown. ( connect a volt meter across the fuse. There should be 0 VDC across the fuse, or its blown.

When I had my Volvo VNL 780 tow vehicle, I changed the batteries and afterwards the winch in the truck bed didn't work. A wire had slipped behind the batteries and wasn't connected. Ya can't make this stuff up!!

If that doesn't work, check any connectors that you may have jostled or disconnected. Make sure there's no green crusty corrosion and reconnect. Hope it helps. Maybe others will chime in.......

Bob & Dottie
Newell 1261 & Jeep Grand Cherokee fulltimers
Past Teton Reliance 45'  5th wheel
Custom Volvo VNL780 tow vehicle
2014 Smart car

Hey Bob,
The DDEC buttons in the rear elec. panel next to engine were pushed in, as they should be, but I also pushed them in and out a few anyway, now Im getting the engine check light, but no start.
Previously, I would always get an amber colored light come on (pre lit?) and wait til it went out to start. Not happening currently.
Frustrated.

1996 Newell #406, 2015 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock, FJ Cruiser, Harley Fatboy. 35 CABO Express Tongue

Hey John,
In this thread, https://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=8025, Richard mentions a third source of power to the DDEC from the ignition source that I was not aware of....not sure where that wire lives but certainly worth noting.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

(06-15-2024, 09:07 AM)Shamu406 Wrote:  Hey Bob,
The DDEC buttons in the rear elec. panel next to engine were pushed in, as they should be, but I also pushed them in and out a few anyway, now Im getting the engine check light, but no start.
Previously,  I would always get an amber colored light come on (pre lit?) and wait til it went out to start. Not happening currently. 
Frustrated.

Time to get out a test light or volt meter and go to the back side of the DDEC buttons and see if they have 12v power. If no power on both terminals of those then you need to trace them out and see where they are not connected. As has been mentioned there is also an ignition signal that has to make it to the ECM or it will not fire. That wire probably goes directly to the ECM via a wire loom if I had to guess. Since the only thing you did was mess with the batteries I would check those DDEC buttons first for power. If you do not have a test light or voltmeter now is the time to get one, its going to save you some trouble shooting time.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

It’s cranked. I will leave to John to provide details.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I did get her running, It seemed to be an air bubble in the fuel filter/separator. I primed and she fired up and has done so since.
Thank you for all you help and suggestions!!

What about that check engine light and the circuit breaker deal? Just a fluke?

1999 45'  #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas
1996 40 XL Prevost Marathon 

Jack, That is possible, because the only other thing I really played with electronically, was the two DDEC push button switches in the rear engine housing panel that Richard suggested to check. Just checking power and pushing them in and out a few times?
I wish I could be more specific, but that is all I really did, along with priming the fuel filter.