You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Warning for Headhunter and Microphor users

I got a lesson on my Headhunter pump while I was at Newell last week. I had the Sequence Valve in my Microphor toilet replaced for the third time in about 3 months. In case you have never been told... NEVER turn on the Headhunter, and the City Water valve at the same time. The pressure will shoot up to over 100psi, and blow up the Sequence valve. Newell replaced all 3 times at no cost to me, because they did not tell me not to do that. Those puppies are around 250.00 each, plus labor at 110.00 per hour (4 hours).

I thought this info would be helpful...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Coach Name: Hakuna Matata, 2005 Coach 722 Quad Slide, DD Series 60, Allison 6 Speed, Featherlite Toy Hauler

Coach Name: Hakuna Matata, 2005 Coach 722 47' Quad Slide, DD Series 60, Allison 6 Speed, Featherlite Toy Hauler

I do not run city water, I merely fill my tank because the waste tank and water tank will work in unison with no danger of overfilling the waste tank.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

What the heck is a "sequence valve"? Inquiring minds want to know.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill,
Go here. On page 14 there is a complete explanation.

http://newellgurus.com/Thread-Manual-for...ir-toilets

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thanks Steve,

What are the symptoms when you "blow one up"? I now just fill my tank and run the pump, but in the past I know that I have been on city water and still had pump on. (I also did not get the word). I don't have any known problems...but would like to be on the lookout for a failing valve.

Thanks!!!

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

the valves are pricey but you can either get a valve rebuild kit or a toilet rebuild kit for 100-150 bucks

i have had my microphors off and changed some o rings and it wasnt all that hard. i think i could get one off in 15 minutes or less and most everything is easy to get at inside.

seems like it shouldnt crack the housing at 100psi, but rather blow the seals out. but i dont know for sure

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

It seems to blow the seals out, and will not cycle right anymore.

Coach Name: Hakuna Matata, 2005 Coach 722 47' Quad Slide, DD Series 60, Allison 6 Speed, Featherlite Toy Hauler

If you had your Headhunter pump on... and hooked to City water, you have a switch to hit to change it over to city... You can hear the valve operate when you hit the switch. If you had the Headhunter on...it would not work with the City water valve on, because the City valve shuts the water supply off to the Headhunter, and it would run dry, and start a clicking sound.

After reading the above posts, I decided to test the auto fill using city water. Turned the switch on in the water bay, some electrical system, maybe a pump, started and ran until the tank was full. The two Surflo pumps were automatically shut off, thus no water at the faucets. Finally, all noises stopped, but the tank overfilled and ran out on the pavement. Not sure what is going on, but I reverted back to my old procedure - manually fill the tank and dump the sewer at the same time.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester, there is a cutoff valve that turns off water using autofill. My coach did the same thing. I took the valve apart and cleared a tiny weep hole that was filled with lime deposit. After that all was well.

I dont have a picture, but the valve is located just above the headhunter pump. Inside the valve, there is a rubber gasket and that gasket has a tiny hole that if stopped up will do what you describe.

Hope this helps. If you ask, I am sure that someone has pictures of the valve and procedure.

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama