You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

troubleshooting

My 99 with S60 engine had been hard to start when been setting for a couple of days. It takes about 15 to 20 seconds or longer before starting and after it is warm it will start right off. This just started a week ago while at a park for about 4 days. Tried to crank and it took awhile, and this morning tried again and the same thing happened. After warm it starts right off. I will leaving for Spearfish in a couple of week and need to get this taken care of. Chappell

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Chappell,

My guess is the fuel is leaking back to the tank and needs the cranking to get it back up to the engine.

Just south of you in Lufkin is Bernd Ramspeck. His shop is at the Lufkin Truck Driving School located on Bus 59 just inside of the north loop. His phone is 936.707.1584.

Bernd has done my air springs (8), my rocker levers and set the valves on my Cummins M11 and will replace my disc brake slide pins and repair a dash A/C freon line that is leaking on June 11th. He has replaced James Stallings of Xtreme Paint and Graphics blown turbo on his Prevost Series 60 which should be an engine like yours. In short, he is stellar on diesel engine and chassis repair.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Thanks Rudy, Will give him a call. Chappell

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Chappell did you buy from MOT?
Maybe call them for info? They do have technical support, or call Newell. They might be able to give you some ideas.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Turn your block heater on and give that a try, first.

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

Erniee, Will try, but it is 90 degrees down here in Texas. Should not need to heat it up any more. It is already 1/2 way to normal running Temp. Chappell

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

The problem is more than likely the in-line fuel check valve. It is probably froze open allowing fuel to flow away from engine when it is not running. It looks like I need to be about the size of cat to get to it. I will have to look into this Monday. Might be able to pull the left tag wheel off and have more room or the floor out, I hope not the floor, because I have no idea how to take it out. Come Monday I'm calling someone that knows diesel engines look at it. Chappell

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Chappell,
On something that you're not sure of or hard to get to, give using a mobile diesel mechanic consideration. I have used them on the road many times with very satisfactory results. Many times they bill you less than a shop and they come to you. If you don't know of one in your area, check with a truck stop or MOT may use one.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve,

You just described Bernd. Recommended by Nacogdoches RV folks (me too), shop or mobile, lives in same town as Chappell, shop 20 miles from Chappell and charges $85 dollars per hour for very excellent precise work.

I like your networking idea very much which is how I learned of Bernd. Sure has been good for myself.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

holy cow- taking the tag wheel off and removing the floor- not user friendly

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge