You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

kwikee steps

hi all,

i put new steps on last week and now am having trouble getting them to retract. sometimes they do and sometimes they dont.

before i spend alot of time looking into it, just thought i would ask if any one had any brilliant ideas.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

1st step: Check ground

2nd step: Lubricate

3rd step: Do the 4 point electrical check that is in the owners manual.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

i checked the ground and lubricated twice. i guess i will do the electrical check on monday

thanks steve

tom

Is your door switch working OK? Did you change it with the new steps?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

the door switch was the same one and didnt need changing. funny thing is that i have two sets of spare motors and control boxes and switches at home. and i looked at them and wondered if i should bring them and said to my self...naw, i just put new steps on, why would i need them?

hopefully it is just a connection. it is quite annoying trying to get them to retract when you want to go somewhere

tom

While we were at Dodge City, KS the spot we were in had the coach real low on the passengers side so that the steps wouldn't extend fully. When I noticed I just shut them off but they didn't retract fully and stuck out about 4". But when we moved and they opened and closed a few times they are now working correctly. Figured I would have to fix them but they fixed themselves.
Good luck getting yours working.
Tom did you disconnect the connector at the steps and re-connect it?
Also maybe check the toggle switch at the entrance on the cabinets, maybe one of the connectors popped off?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

it works, only erratically. if it was not working all the time it would be much easier to find. sometimes they go in, sometimes they dont and sometimes it is delayed quite a while.

tom

Tom, I had the problem in a previous motorhome, and it turned out to be the magnetic switch that the door actuates when closed. I replaced the magnetic switch with a mechanical switch which corrected the problem. I would first concentrate on this switch, even if it is a mechanical one.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

The four point electrical check allows you to determine whether the door switch is working, whether the interior switch is working, presence of power and whether your ground is good in four easy checks. I always start with this check as it normally quickly identifies your problem. I do agree that it sounds like the electrical plug is only receiving an intermittent signal from the door switch.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Ill bet on door switch...

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin