You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Dual Tires vs Single

I've been reading with some interest the replacement of the Duals with the new Xtra Wide single tire. Benifits seem to include improved fuel economy and lower maint cost. The new X- One is for the RV.
http://www.tiregroup.com/Catalogs/PDF%20...chelin.pdf
Anyone considered doing this??

Their has been some study for the trucking industry.

https://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesand...tw537.html

Jimmy

The X-One XRV is only rated at 10,200 pounds or 20,400 pounds per drive axle. That would not meet the drive axle ratings of even mid-1980's Newells which were typically rated at 22,000 pounds. By 1995 Newell drive axles were rated at 23,000 pounds, by 2006 were rated at 26,400 pounds and since 2009 have been rated at 28,600 pounds. Michelin does make truck low profile tires (XZL and XZY3) that do have higher load capacities (12,300 each and 12,800 each respectively) but they are not meant to be used at the speeds RV's travel. The XZL is rated for 60 mph and the XZY3 for 65 mph while the X-One XRV is rated for 75 mph.

Tires for heavy RV's are a major issue. There have been significant improvements in tire load carrying capacities over the past 20 years but even at that it is hard to find tires that will stand up to the heavy front ends on large RV's. The wide singles work well on over the road trucks and trailers since they are only rated at 20,000 pounds per axle and if you need more weight carrying capacity, you add more axles and more tires.

I like the concept of the super wide tires but we will just have to wait to see if the load carrying capacity can be increased sufficiently to be practical on a Newell.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

i looked at a truck that had them on at a truck stop on this trip. all i can say is they look really cool.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks Michael..
I seem to spend a lot of time looking at Truck tires on my weekly 500 mile commute .. Mostly if I will see the birth of the next Road Alligator. I had noticed a growing number of the super wide tires. Knowing the trucking industry doesn't make a major change unless there is some benefit ...like a 9.4% increase in fuel economy. I also think they are pretty cool looking!! Maybe they will come up with something that will work for the Newell's.

Jimmy