You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

How to cook a battery?

Don't really know yet. But I'm sure someone at the rally can help me figure out what happened.
We left the coach for a month plugged into 50amp. Inverter off, merge switch on, charger on. Checked my batteries today (8 wet cell 8d's) the 2 house batteries were ok and took no water. I have 2 8d's in one compartment connected by about 8' of heavy wire to the other 4 8d's in another compartment. The set of 2 8d's took a little bit of water, what I would expect after a month. The set of 4 8d's took about 3.5 GALLONS EACH! Yes, I put in 14 gallons total for 4 8d's! The top of each plate was exposed. Why would only 4 out of 6 batteries connected together boil the water out?
There was no amp draw on the batteries only a charge going in so hopefully they weren't damaged? I have them charging overnight.

After I first bought the coach I had to add 5 gallons of water for all 8 batteries. But they all took the same amount. The next 2 months I added just a little bit.

So everybody put on their thinking caps and help me figure this one out.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Forest,
There are a lot of gurus on this forum that are a lot smarter on batteries than myself. The only thing you did that I don't do is merge the batteries during storage. I have never added that much water in a battery and I check mine monthly. Over the years I have noticed that as batteries get weak they tend to require more water being added. If this case was mine, I would start by going to a good battery shop and having the batteries load tested. Then you'll know if replacement is required. Weak batteries can cause many electrical gremlins to raise their heads.

Good luck........................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

HAHAHAHA!!!!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

My batteries are dated 2011 but I have no idea of how they were maintained by the PO.
I can understand if my inverter charger went crazy and got stuck in equalize mode and boiled the water out, but why would only 1/2 of the batteries get boiled?
I had it charging last night and I'll turn off the charger this morning for an hour then check each battery voltage to get an idea if any are bad.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Forrest
Sorry to hear about your battery problems. When batteries are in a bank one bad apple will spoil the basket. Your charger is looking for specific indications when it doesn’t see that it keeps on pumping. thus overcharging the other batteries to make the system whole.. several things could play a factor. But with the water you've added and the electrolyte being below the plates.. you may have lost the bank... and trying to replace a single battery or two in a lead acid system.. never works out in the long run... there should have been or should be a temp monitor to prevent boiling off the batteries.. I have seen a few times batteries that did recover but not often. check all the connection for corrosion and security especially the grounds.
If there is more than one ground to the chassis as in the two that didn’t boil, that is part of the problem. The system has to be whole for the charger to play well..

Good luck… see ya in Spearfish..

Jimmy

Forest, my coach set for months this winter. It was connected to 50 amp, with the inverter on, merge switch off, and almost no water was added after at least six months. I have a load tester with me at Spearfish and we can test them.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

With the merge switch on.. could be that other ground.. I had a seperate charger for my engine batteries..

Jimmy

OK, after charging all night I turned off the charger, turned on inverter. Had refrigerator running, tv, satellite and a few other things on. Voltage starting out was: 13.1 and after 2 hours 12.74. All 6 batteries discharged to the same voltage.
Chester I'd love to use your load tester.
Heading to Sidney, NE for the night. Cabelas world headquarters is there and they have a full hookup campground.
Cindy already hid my credit cards!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Forrest... that is good news.. check the charging rate "without the merge swith engaged" n see if it goes into the float mode..

Jimmy