You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator update

Spent yesterday re-tracing all of our steps to fix my genny and still no luck. Checked for good ground and was not that...finally called the Kohler folks and they referred me to some folks in Des Moines. Will have it checked out on monday. Called the tech and he asked alot of good questions and basically said that the reason the genny won't stay running is due to the fact it will not transfer the load and carry the power back. He said it was a system design. So hopefully we will have gen capabilities monday sometime.. as it is beginning to warm up and driving w/o genny ac made me reminisce of my college days driving across country in a 72 Super Beetle one summer and I'm too old and fat for that!
Will keep you all posted.

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster LT

But think of the memories your kids are going to have to tell to your grand kids! BTW thanx for keeping all posted on the gen fix.

Maybe we can have a Genset expert give a presentation at the next Guru Gathering ???? I recall Tom,Steve,Clint,James,Michael,Richard,myself and others would love to know what we missed on Bill's Gen....

Sorry I missed Richard and Rhonda in the "Goodbyes" and wish you both safe and happy trails.....

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Current update on my generator. Had work done on it in Des Moines. 3E generator folks replaced bushing, brushes and bearing and genny runs like a top. Dean thought the generator light on the transfer was important and he was correct. When we capped off the light connection it created a short that would blow the transfer case fuse when switching to generator power. Stopped in Miami and 1 hr later the light was replaced and generator power restored. Lesson learned... The genny shut down due to the bushings not a sensor shut down....when we trouble shot we created a minor problem that was an easy fix...total cost under $500 with genny repair and Newell fix. Air conditioning in Wichita Falls, TX while driving...priceless. Now I'm trying to fix the fridge as the freezer works great but the refrigerator will not cool. I think the thermostat needs to be replaced? any thoughts from yoou all?

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic

Bill we had a fridge do the same and it was a fan that pushed cold air from freezer to fridge portion. Is your fridge still under warranty?
Glad the genny problems are over.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Thanx for posting update! It sounds just like problem we had in Oct. was +/- $800 in Phx to fix.

I also had a new frig did the same.. It turned out that frost/ice in the freezer built up inside the fan cover where the frig fan is located and stopped it. defrosted the freezer and all was well. worth a look see..

Jimmy

Fridge had excess ice build up and once we thawed the freezer the fan pushed the cold air perfectly to the fridge...I'll have to keepa close eye on it as I bet it will freeze upagain.

B

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic

bill, i unhooked the autodefrost circuit on that fridge so it wouldnt consume so much electricity. i had told you about it.

if you want to hook it back up it is simple. take the panel at the top of the inside of the freezer off. one or two 1/4" screws with hex heads. you will see a connector that is taped off (both sides). hook it back up and you will not have that problem again. should take you 10 minutes.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom, you did indeed tell me. I'm sure I have forgotten more of your briefing as I was so overwhelmed. I actually like the idea of less electrical draw and will just leave the defrost mode disengaged as you set up. Tom, you sure did an awesome job on this coach....We are in Colorado Springs and last night had torrential rains with lightning for at least 4 hours and the family was in awe of how comfortable we all were. Now, i made the boys switch from shore power to genny power during the storm because I thought I remember you saying that was a safeguard...please let me know if I had it right?

Thanks to all you gurus who have helped heather and i adjust to this fantastic coach we look forward to seeing you all in the near future.
Bill

2003 Ford F250 SD
2001 Honda Civic